General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailbone blues and a stock seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:14 AM
girlster8015
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KopperTop
Let's not get our *** problems confused. Tailbone or coccyx pain (the OP's lament) has nothing to monkey butt or chaffing. Here's a fairly concise write-up on the problem (see below).

It's not about miles, it's about hours in the seat. I can ride 200 miles in less than 3 hours and I'm fine with the stock seat. This weekend it took me 4 hours to go 125 miles and I could barely walk afterwards the bone pain was so bad. I think the only thing that will help with tailbone pain is to cut out the portion of the seat just below your coccyx. I plan to have a chat with the folks at Mean City and see what they can do.

Motorcycle Asses
I had mine custom done locally, he scooped it out and took out foam in the coccyx area which made me numb after about 1.5-2 hours or more. Then he put in gel and made a leather cover, we rode from BC to las vegas, all around arizona and back to las vegas then home, not a sore\numb butt once

Old 08-09-2009, 10:18 PM
superprohero
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc
You rode 184 miles and that was the longest ride you've taken......yeah... your butt was sore....how often do you usually ride? and how far?

Lots of people think that because they buy a touring bike, they should be able to hop right on, and do Iron Butts.... just ain't gonna happen.

Even if you are in a car, and commute 25 miles each way daily... you'd get fiddgetty if you had to drive 300-500 miles. I had a stock seat and my butt would get numb after 45-60 minutes. I'd get off and stretch my legs, then back on the bike... I built up, until running a few hundred miles was do-able. Then I got a Mustang... great seat, I could go a full tank, without stopping. I found a Corbin (at a very good price) and bought that... took a while, but I got to where I didn't get off the bike to fill the tank....

Corbin, Mustang, Ultimate, Danny Gray, Russel Long, etc, all make great seats, but you can spend a lot of money chasing a seat, when you just need to ride more often.

I'm liking my REACH seat...I can ride for hours at a time.... but then I've gotten to a point, that a 300 mile ride, is just a short ride.
This doesn't seem to be the case scoot, now that summer is part way over. What KopperTop is saying is more the issue it seems.
Since my original post I went from 222lbs to 203lbs , not a huge difference but a considerable one. All summer I ride all I can usually trying to get well over 300 miles in on most weekends. Not a lot of miles for some but is considerable for my schedule and *** issues.
In fact I just done 365 miles today and every damn hour I had to stop. Frickin tailbone hurt so bad I couldn't bend over to tie my boots.
Grab a beverage, 2 smokes and walk it off and I'm good to go for another 45-60 mins. The more hours I put in riding the slightly more frequent the stops needed.
I think my azz is getting enough riding time in. It's the tailbone that can't take it.
Soooooo maybe I'll have to get stupid with buying seats and selling the ones that don't work on fleabay. I don't think modding the stock seat is the answer and all the aftermarket seat suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 PM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same problem.....but after 3400 miles spread out since Nov '08 either the seat has broke in or my back-side did. I can do about 300-350 miles a day before it starts hurting now. I found if I move my foot position on the floor boards every so often it lengthens my saddle time. I eventually am going to change the seat and add highway pegs to really be able to stretch my legs out, but since I work out of country and only get to come home every 4 months I would rather ride when I am home than go through the process of elimination to find the perfect seat for me.