General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailbone blues and a stock seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:33 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most stock seats SUCK!

Old 05-24-2009, 07:36 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I suggest a sundowner or lots of Jack Daniels

Old 05-24-2009, 07:47 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My husband has an 07 Roadking as well and had/has the same issue. Switched to a Sundowner seat with backrest which did help. Tried an Airhawk cushion for a while which actually seemed to make it worse. Now he just preloads with ibuprofen and takes more during and after, and toughs it out. May send his seat out for modification eventually if he continues to have problems or they get worse. Sorry for the PITA.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Road Gypsy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

superprohero
Get the picture? Stock RK seat sucks. H-D got by with the minimum. You do not have a$$ problems, you have seat problems. Every seat all the posts mention are way better than the stock seat, but I really have to agree with the Jack Daniels idea.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 PM
JBA111
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a chiped tailbone and yea it can really REALLY hurt. I ride an ElectraGlide Classic and the seat isnt great. but I got the backrest and had to turn the bracket backwards and mount it on the frame so the backrest sat more rearward and upright. then an airhawk pad with just alittle air in it. and move it forward so you are sittin on the legs and lower butt cheeks and not the tailbone.
it took a couple thousand miles till I was broke in and now no problems even 6-800mile days and the tailbone dosnt hurt. In the spring it takes me a couple weeks to get back in the grove. and get in the habbit of stoping every hundred miles for 15min of walk arrounds. I can go long days with alot of short breaks. good luck

Old 05-24-2009, 09:35 PM
OldCoot
Cruiser
Default On a budget...

...I have a Lepera Bare Bones seat on my Sportster... it's a nice looking BRICK.

But I rode 5,500 miles on it last summer touring ... never had any pain in my butt or anywhere else... my shoestring budget solution was an AirHawk pad.

It's not pretty, but it worked awesome. And I can take it off in a minute for crusin' around town so the bike doesn't look so bad. Take a look: http://www.bikebandit.com/product/12...3097&WT.srch=1

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I've never had a problem with my stock Road Glide seat. And I really want an excuse to buy a new seat.

When I went on my first long trip, I used a gel-padded sheepskin pad, but I don't think I needed it. Did 1000 miles one day coming home, and only my hands got uncomfortable on a crowded I-5 finishing leg. Well, my head started itching, too. My hands probably got sore from trying to scratch my head with a full-face hat on.

But I have no problem with my seat, and I'm afraid to get a new seat. It might be worse.

Does Corbin let you give their seats a test ride for a few hours ?

edit: I did add a backrest, and it does help some.

Last edited by edilgdaor; 05-24-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:44 PM
rockerheadsteve
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd suggest keeping the seat and save some money by losing some weight.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:36 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,214 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I switched from the stock seat to a Mustang seat. I have been known to do 600-700 miles in a day. With stock seat, I was lucky to do 150. I now have 3 Mustangs, depending on the liik Im going after.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:48 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior

Had Corbin and Mustangs touring seats. Both of them were improvements over the stock seats. I really liked the Corbin though . It had the backrest that was movable from back rider to solo rider. That back rest really helps out on the longer runs.

Quick Reply: Tailbone blues and a stock seat