General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Laws in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:19 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helmet Laws in Canada

I live in BC. We are required by law to wear a helmet here, although they do not enforce DOT helmets, but it is still the law, nonetheless. So I see this East Indian guy riding the other day just wearing a turbin. I was surprised to see this, so I phoned the police to see about what the law required. It turns out, I have to wear a helmet by law, but the East Indian guy, due to religion does not. I find that extremely unfair. What do you think?

Old 05-24-2009, 01:28 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Change religions while riding and you could wear a turban while riding instead of a turtle bowl. If this next statement offends anyone--get over it--my opinion. I think that a turban looks goofy. Glad I don't have to wear one anytime. Thankfully a lot of people fought helmet laws in Texas and we aren't required to wear helmets unless we can't meet certain restrictions.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:40 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Change religions while riding and you could wear a turban while riding instead of a turtle bowl. If this next statement offends anyone--get over it--my opinion. I think that a turban looks goofy. Glad I don't have to wear one anytime. Thankfully a lot of people fought helmet laws in Texas and we aren't required to wear helmets unless we can't meet certain restrictions.
I have no problem with freedom of religion, but if they don't have to wear a helmet, as a safety precaution, why should I have to? I highly doubt India would adapt their laws to my religious needs if I lived there.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:46 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I think all helmet laws suck. You shouldn't be required to wear a helmet period. Stupid law.
Originally Posted by RACKnRAIL
I have no problem with freedom of religion, but if they don't have to wear a helmet, as a safety precaution, why should I have to? I highly doubt India would adapt their laws to my religious needs if I lived there.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:58 PM
philidor1958
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am from Texas and I wear a helmet because I want to. It is good to have a choice an seat belt laws should be the same. We all pay taxes and insurance so give us a choice, and another shot of tequila.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:26 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

The Canadian supreme court already had a case like that go through court. They said that religion does not trump public safety. The guy had to wear a helmet.
It was in all the news in Toronto last year.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Religious freedom and helmet law freedom should be one in the same. It comes down to personal choice. More people have died in the name of religion then from not wearing a helmet..

Last edited by skydrifter; 05-24-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:45 PM
cactus789
Road Captain

Ahh...Doo Rags...Turbans....same thing....

Old 05-24-2009, 03:26 PM
matinees
Advanced

you are right rocknrod that case was in the supreme court last year and he lost he has to wear a helmet.I follow the case to see what happened seeing i live 90 minutes north of toronto

Old 05-24-2009, 10:25 PM
D6CS
Tourer

So my Canadian brothers and sisters why the hell doesn't our lame a$$ government "inform" these immigrants upon arrival that when in Canada you must conform to OUR Rules.

Like that BS about wearing a turban as part of the RCMP Uniform.

Do You think they would get a tad peeved if we immigrated there and opened a Steak House on main street, I don't think so. Don't get me wrong I do not begrudge anyone for their religion, creed , color etc., but when in Rome....

I don't think that kind of crap happens in America???

Quick Reply: Helmet Laws in Canada