General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind issues for my wife

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 07:22 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wind issues for my wife

There are quite a few 3/4 helmets that have full face shields. Look at the HJC AC 3 for about $130. I use one on those HOT days.

Full face is really the best way to go if you can find one she is comfortable with.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:21 PM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should help cut out the wind problem where she says she can't breathe. Stops the watery eyes too. You don't feel as claustrophobic as a full helmet. Should attach to almost any helmet.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

If she won't wear a full face, try a 3/4 with a face shield.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...r_1893_2120732

Old 05-12-2006, 11:40 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Duct tape over mouth and eyes will work. Or better yet, goggles (I wear them because of contacts) and a bandana like someone already suggested. If you do not already have a windshield, spring for one. Your wife's happines will make it a good investment.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:50 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

Duct tape over mouth and eyes will work. Or better yet, goggles (I wear them because of contacts) and a bandana like someone already suggested. If you do not already have a windshield, spring for one. Your wife's happines will make it a good investment.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Duct tape will solve most problems. Try the face shield on a half helmet, I could get one for mine but never did.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:31 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

When my wife first started riding, she had a 3/4 helmet with shield, as the weather warmed and it was hot, plus her being more accustomed to riding she went with good glasses, the glasses strap and half helmet. I have wind deflectors on the road king and I believe this to help as well. Remember they do sit higher on the back than we do in our seats. I know on a couple rides when the wind blowing hard, she does tend to bobble her head down behind mine. But I think her finding good glasses, finding her comfort zone and becoming accustomed was the best for her. She is a good passenger and she is ready anytime, before I had to coax her a little to ride.

Old 05-13-2006, 04:02 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I earlier suggested duct tape. I went back and read your original post where you say your wife cannot breathe or keep her eyes open. How damn fast are you riding?? Even duct tape probably won't stay on above 130.

Another suggestion: Get a Badlander type seat and she should be just as comfortable facing the rear as the front. Have her sit facing the rear and you should be good to go.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:45 AM
pointswhat
Road Captain

Another suggestion: Get a Badlander type seat and she should be just as comfortable facing the rear as the front. Have her sit facing the rear and you should be good to go.
HEHE yeah then mount a super soaker on the tourpack!

Old 05-13-2006, 06:18 AM
roadkingboy
Advanced

HD offer a 3/4 helmet with long viser which covers the face including mouth, it flips up easily and can be worn up when she wants the wind in her face, also some form of bandana/neck piece etc which can be pulled up over nose and mouth gives perfect coverage. We ride in the UK most of the year with this level of protection and my partner is as comfortable as I am tugged behind the screen.

The HD helmet is well cut at the back for neck protection and can either be matt black or a stunning polished chrome. This can be distracting on rideouts though as the reflections of Harleys in the curved chrome are amazing but not great for the rider behind to watch too closely!

Old 05-13-2006, 08:42 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good goggles for the eyes. As far as her inability to breath in the wind, I think she just needs some more saddle time to get used to the feeling of riding.

Quick Reply: wind issues for my wife