Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Exhaust Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was worried when I got my rush 1.75 slip-ons , but now 6 months later, I roll past police all the time . as long as I'm driveing normal they hardley look! Now that my bub7's are in the mail I'm getting nervous again. When i was researching them it said slightly quieter with no objectionable noise and much improved mid and high range hp and tq! So I was tickled - more power less noise YEAH!- Then I found out reinhart (made by bub) is one of the loudest pipes out there! And a lady at bub ent. told me the bub is quieter than the reinhart. Any one know how loud the bub7 2/1 is compatred to the rush 1.75's?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Tat2dGooch
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All your motorcycle laws are listed on this one site click on the state and read their requirements

http://www.bikernation.net/motorcycl...#Massachusetts

Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Tat2dGooch
All your motorcycle laws are listed on this one site click on the state and read their requirements

http://www.bikernation.net/motorcycl...#Massachusetts
Not a very good link. They basically don't have any info for VA. The muffler/decible level for WI says no acoustical critera. Try telling my brother that after his 3rd exhaust ticket.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:46 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have screaming eagles on a 98 wideglide and they are no where near as loud as my V&H on a 03 heritage. We aren't comparing apples to apples but the sound is definitely not louder with the screaming eagles.
Originally Posted by cadman311
Yes the older SE's are louder than V/H's. I have both. I like have one bike at a time with queit pipes and cars will run you down with queit pipes. Loud pipe will help to save your life. I switch pipes thing it was just the bike but the louder pipes will keep car away from you plus they will roll there windows up as you get close to them. And no tickets for my pipe in my state they will need a meter at 50 feet away for sound.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:46 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Millinocket Harley
Loud pipes saves lives! Just have to know when not to hammer on 'em.

Mine are CFR racing pipes on the v-rod. If you open up it is deafening. During the fires last fall I had to do a u-turn in front of several of the local law enforcement officers. I took it slow. One of the guys stopped me and said he appreciated my attempt to keep it quiet but that under different circumstances I'd have to have them changed out. Nearly a ticket. I like that people can hear me coming and I definitely agree that loud pipes save lives - at least in my case I feel better riding the 405 at rush hour when they can hear me coming.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:18 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Here in Ind I know of no one who has been ticketed. Nor anyone who has written one.
Son's NT is louder than my Rush 2" and several of his buddies have V&H's that are loud, and they are LEO's.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:21 AM
woody69
Cruiser

I have vance and hines big radius pipes, and never had a problem.

Knock on wood

Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Free Spirit
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
Drill your pipes out. There a metal plug with a long drill bit just drill it out. It's not to loud but is louder than stock.
My stock pipes are pretty scratched up from the previous owner. That just one of the reasons why I'm asking about a pair of slip ons. However drilling them out would be a temporary fix until I can get something better. Keep in mind that I'm not a mechanic. I don't want to booger the pipes up any more than they already are trying to be one.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:56 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use long drill bit on the stock pipe you still have EPA stamp on your pipes.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:46 AM
95hd883
Cruiser
Cool

Have not heard of any tickets here YET ..(east central fla. coast)

even in the small beachside towns..was there yesterday..where the leo's tend to be more strict..

Florida's law does not state an actual dbl level

just says "shall not modify"

I have the older Screamin' Eagle 1's no baffle....they were pretty loud..
but they REALLY got LOUD when i put the K&N filter in...man..that baby can breath now..

just pulled out the stock mufflers and polished 'em up last weekend..
(just in case)

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!

Quick Reply: Loud Exhaust Tickets