Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Exhaust Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:07 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I probably ride more in Wisconsin than here in Illinois where I live. I've never had a problem with the LEO's, or for that matter the friendly folks who live up in that state. You can hop off your scoot, walk into a dinner club, and be welcomed like a long lost friend. Its also a state which does not require skid lids, and you can drink and smoke in both resturants and bars, if you so choose.

Now if I could only figure out how to run my business here in Illinois, and move up to Wisconsin, I'd be all set.

Respects,
Ed

Last edited by wescoot2; 05-26-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old 05-26-2009, 09:36 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought my V&H's were loud. I can hear them at any speed and animals ahead of me get out of the way. At rally's they roar, but the dealer told me his Screaming Eagles were louder. Surprised me.
Haven't been a problem yet, but then I'm no show off.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJIM
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I also don't think we should paint Wisconsin as being a haven for loud pipe enforcement. Been living and riding in Wis. all my life and I never even heard of anyone getting a loud exhaust ticket.
Born and raised in WI myself until I moved to VA. I'm not trying to paint WI in that light, but MI has a lid law and the family won't ride there. So they stay in WI for day trips. My brother didn't have baffles in his ride - and it was quite loud. Yes, he got 3 tickets for it.

Mercer on hwy 51, Minocqua in town, and Westfield on I-39.

But I can safely say this. There is a state patrol LEO up near Mercer that has the reputation of ticketing loud pipes. It's a small town and it was the talk of the town a few years back (before I moved to VA). But I can't/won't speak for the rest of the state.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,512 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Originally Posted by eleutheros
I thought my V&H's were loud. I can hear them at any speed and animals ahead of me get out of the way. At rally's they roar, but the dealer told me his Screaming Eagles were louder. Surprised me.
Haven't been a problem yet, but then I'm no show off.
SE's are louder than V/H's? I don't think so

Old 05-27-2009, 06:45 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the older SE's are louder than V/H's. I have both. I like have one bike at a time with queit pipes and cars will run you down with queit pipes. Loud pipe will help to save your life. I switch pipes thing it was just the bike but the louder pipes will keep car away from you plus they will roll there windows up as you get close to them. And no tickets for my pipe in my state they will need a meter at 50 feet away for sound.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Free Spirit
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I currently have stock pipes, but I'd like to get a pair of slip ons in the near future. I want the bike to be a little louder, but not obnoxious. I ride an "invisible" 07 FXDC. If I can't be seen, I'd like to at least be heard. However I don't want to worry about tickets. I'm more of a cruiser than a throttle twister. I give it gas to go, not to be cool.

Any suggestions? I currently live in PA, but I'll be moving South to GA soon.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drill your pipes out. There a metal plug with a long drill bit just drill it out. It's not to loud but is louder than stock.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 AM
bk41700
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the hopefully they all do...

Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 AM
lanceropolis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bk41700
I second the hopefully they all do...
So you joined again under another name? Bravo. You must be smart. You're momma must be soooo proud.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:27 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Free Spirit
I currently have stock pipes, but I'd like to get a pair of slip ons in the near future. I want the bike to be a little louder, but not obnoxious. I ride an "invisible" 07 FXDC. If I can't be seen, I'd like to at least be heard. However I don't want to worry about tickets. I'm more of a cruiser than a throttle twister. I give it gas to go, not to be cool.

Any suggestions? I currently live in PA, but I'll be moving South to GA soon.
This is my first bike with loud pipes, and what a difference with traffic (and animals) staying out of my space.
One difference for me is that I start it in the garage (6 am), and idle out of the neighborhood.
The second is I rarely wind it up like I always did before just to feel the acceleration/thrill.

Quick Reply: Loud Exhaust Tickets