Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Exhaust Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have V&H big shots with the baffles on a twin cam that has had some cam work. The bike is not quiet but I ride with some common sense when in town. I also have evo with screaming eagles with punched baffles. They are not as loud as the V&H's but they can talk. I have never even got a second look from a LEO. I think that the people that have received the tickets were in the wrong place at the wrong time or twisting the wick in the wrong place.
Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
This subject has come up quite a bit lately.
For those that have gotten a ticket or those that know of someone that got a ticket, what brand of exhaust are the "culprits? Are Vance and Hines or Rhineharts getting the tickets?

Last edited by oldairboater; 05-22-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:29 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I've posted before on this subject, what is the standard for loud pipes? Does the leo have a dbl meter to check or what? On tinted windows leo's have a device to check, but in smaller towns they can't afford these. So how do you beat this in court if they don't have a meter? By time you go to court you could have installed stock pipes for the judge. Locally we have a leo who is against loud pipes, now we have a new city council member who won't put up with this crap. The new leo has already gotten two written warnings for harassment. Sometimes I think maybe they get a thorn under their seat, and flaunt their power. I expect to get flak for this post. I'm certainly not painting all leo with a broad brush! I just believe there should be something besides personnal feelings when dealing with this issue.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:50 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Texas
Hopefully they all do.
Originally Posted by oldairboater
Kind of a troll like statement to get a reaction instead of answering the op's question.
Look at his past posts, most of em one liners, contain the term 'my busa' or involve raging against people w/ loud pipes, and w/ the exception of a few texas related posts, seem to have derogatory remarks about the topic or the OP of any given thread.

I think one post said he had a sporty, but doesn't seem to be what he likes to talk about most.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by karz10
Look at his past posts, most of em one liners, contain the term 'my busa' or involve raging against people w/ loud pipes, and w/ the exception of a few texas related posts, seem to have derogatory remarks about the topic or the OP of any given thread.

I think one post said he had a sporty, but doesn't seem to be what he likes to talk about most.
Your classic Troll

Old 05-23-2009, 01:36 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,152 Likes on 1,810 Posts

If these cities and towns are cracking down on noise, fine, as long as they aren't singling out motorcycles. There are a lot of diesel pickups that art MUCH louder than many bikes, and should be going after them too. I don't even want to get started on these kids with their ghetto blasters you can feel from a mile away.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:32 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
I've posted before on this subject, what is the standard for loud pipes? Does the leo have a dbl meter to check or what? On tinted windows leo's have a device to check, but in smaller towns they can't afford these. So how do you beat this in court if they don't have a meter? By time you go to court you could have installed stock pipes for the judge. Locally we have a leo who is against loud pipes, now we have a new city council member who won't put up with this crap. The new leo has already gotten two written warnings for harassment. Sometimes I think maybe they get a thorn under their seat, and flaunt their power. I expect to get flak for this post. I'm certainly not painting all leo with a broad brush! I just believe there should be something besides personal feelings when dealing with this issue.
It depends on where you live and how the law of the land reads. In California there is no window tint allowed on the front side windows. In Kentucky there is a law that states you may not alter any exhaust that would allow increased noise from that of stock. The law is not enforced around here.

Is there a standard for noise testing of bikes? Yeah, there sure is, SAE J-1287 and it is used regularly on dirt bikes in most National Forests with an OHV area. Is it used on the street? Not that I am aware of.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:42 PM
ALPHA_MALE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-24-2009, 12:53 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,765 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Don't know where everyone "is" but I read a post some time back... there's a town in Fl. that has basically outlawed any bikes from certain streets. One guy who wasn't aware of that got a muffler ticket on a brand new FLHTP with stock everything - just like the cop was riding.

So, I think it's mostly how you're acting (throttling), partly where you are, and a good bit the cop who is either doing what he's told or is having a pissy day.

But let's face, with the somewhat recent induction of countless thousands yuppies into the motorcycle riding population and despite our (my) distaste of that, things are pretty lax as far as what you can get away with, as compared to 25 years ago....

Old 05-24-2009, 01:26 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

According to the AMA site, Texas has no "acoustical criteria" on a maximum sound level.

Check your state here.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

I don't necessarily agree with loud pipes save lives. Most accidents are from the jerk that pulls out in front of you and he can't hear the pipes blasting behind you. Having said that, I love the sound of my Rineharts!

Last edited by EdwardK; 05-24-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:50 PM
llbigbird
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My wife's step dad was threatened by a NY State trooper for his Rhineharts but I think he knew it wouldn't hold up so he did nothing (mind you this was at a checkpoint so he was not revving it or anything)

Quick Reply: Loud Exhaust Tickets