General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a LOT of information for anyone who cares to read it.... THIS IS NOT AN AD...... IT'S A FACTUAL INFORMATION SHEET THAT CAN BE PRINTED OR READ ONLINE, 28 PAGES

http://www.amsoil.com/products/stree...hitePaper.aspx

Maybe it will help some of you make an informed decision, not something based on what your buddy does or has heard.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:10 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake
Here is a LOT of information for anyone who cares to read it.... THIS IS NOT AN AD...... IT'S A FACTUAL INFORMATION SHEET THAT CAN BE PRINTED OR READ ONLINE, 28 PAGES

http://www.amsoil.com/products/stree...hitePaper.aspx

Maybe it will help some of you make an informed decision, not something based on what your buddy does or has heard.
Except it is what it is: Amsoil Marketing Propaganda. You don't think a mfg. would publish anything that reflects negatively on their product do you?
If you want unbiased, objective information on oils refer why not refer to independent product review data that can be found in the Oil Section here.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:22 PM
ronny c.
Tourer

i buy amsoil at my local bike shop, its on the shelves in GA. and it is noticeably better than h.d. syn.3. all 3 holes, wont run anything else.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Originally Posted by cHarley
Except it is what it is: Amsoil Marketing Propaganda. You don't think a mfg. would publish anything that reflects negatively on their product do you?
If you want unbiased, objective information on oils refer why not refer to independent product review data that can be found in the Oil Section here.
Like I said, you can read for weeks on end about oils. But this review gives some pretty good infor that other reviews don't.

Like another poster said, he uses plain old dino oil, it's been working for years. It's nice to have choices.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:42 PM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I'll chime in here. I've been riding motorcycles for 47 years. Up until last year, I ran dino oil in every one of them. I never have had ANY oil related problems......EVER. I still feel that dino oil, changed at 2500-3,000 miles with filter, will do the job. I bought a new SuperGlide last year, and just because of my age and my back, will perhaps be my last motorcycle purchase. I use Mobil 1 V-Twin in it. I DO NOT like AMSOIL at all. It has nothing to do with the "product" but EVERYTHING to do with how it's marketed. If I could go to my local Walmart, AutoZone, or parts store and buy Amsoil, I might, but, you can spin it any way you want, Amsoil is pyramid sales, and I would NEVER buy it because of that. Besides, Mobil 1 V-Twin is just as good or better than Amsoil, and I don't have to deal with all the BS that you get with Amsoil.

Question................WHY doesn't Amsoil, if it's SO good, just sell it's oil at the local store like everyone else? Hmmmmm?
I just go the Amsoil website, place an order and it shows up a few days later. Bernie Madoff has not contacted me yet.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ48
I just go the Amsoil website, place an order and it shows up a few days later. Bernie Madoff has not contacted me yet.
I just go to the local AutoZone, buy 3 qts. of Mobil V-Twin, and go home.....I have my oil IMMEDIATELY.....and it's just as good if not better.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:31 AM
betchaan
Advanced

Too ALL of you that have replied, I thank you very much.

I am one of those unfortunate people that if I have petrol in my bike, and it is not going I phone the mechanic. I have been riding for more years than I care to remember, had different bikes over the years but bought my first harley 8 years ago, and have had no problems, apart from one of them leaking oil, which was fixed under warranty.

The reason for my question was that I was chatting to the mechanic who services my bike, and he said he only uses proper oil as he believes it to be better

So all of you out there enjoy riding and once again thanks for the advice

Old 05-22-2009, 07:07 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by betchaan

The reason for my question was that I was chatting to the mechanic who services my bike, and he said he only uses proper oil as he believes it to be better
So.......what's "proper" oil?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:29 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I'll chime in here. I've been riding motorcycles for 47 years. Up until last year, I ran dino oil in every one of them. I never have had ANY oil related problems......EVER. I still feel that dino oil, changed at 2500-3,000 miles with filter, will do the job. I bought a new SuperGlide last year, and just because of my age and my back, will perhaps be my last motorcycle purchase. I use Mobil 1 V-Twin in it. I DO NOT like AMSOIL at all. It has nothing to do with the "product" but EVERYTHING to do with how it's marketed. If I could go to my local Walmart, AutoZone, or parts store and buy Amsoil, I might, but, you can spin it any way you want, Amsoil is pyramid sales, and I would NEVER buy it because of that. Besides, Mobil 1 V-Twin is just as good or better than Amsoil, and I don't have to deal with all the BS that you get with Amsoil.

Question................WHY doesn't Amsoil, if it's SO good, just sell it's oil at the local store like everyone else? Hmmmmm?
Not to beat a dead horse. I usually buy Mobil-1 V-Twin at Advanced Auto
Parts. However, they occasionally are out of stock. I kept reading about people buying M-1 at Walmart, and never saw it amongst all the oil. Then I noticed that they keep the M-1 near their motorcycle accessories. An endless supply and it was 8$ and change a quart!

Amsoil is good, and I was a dealer at one time just to buy for myself and freinds. But it's not worth the extra $ to be a dealer. The M-1 is cheaper, and is better in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of pyramid sales either.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:49 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,192 Likes on 1,827 Posts

I have been running Mobil 1 Vtwin 20w-50 in my bike since the 5000 mi service. I have never had a problem obtaining it. Even in the one horse town I live in, both Autozone and Walmart carry it. After I use my supply of oil I have at the house, I'm gonna start using M 1 15s-50. I know a lot of people who use it and have had no issues, and a 5 qt jug is about $23 at wally world vs almost 9 bux a qt for the v twin version.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil