General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not Comfortable riding mountain roads

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Sallysride
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP: I had a similar problem and a friend in the Chapter advise me to watch the "Ride like a Pro through the Dragon" video and it helped quite a lot. I have improved enough that the ride captains in the Chapter are noticing.

Last edited by Sallysride; 07-07-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:51 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAJoe
Your post gets my vote...for the worst advise ever...no one ever learned anything watching the bike in front of him...JMPO...you got your opinion..I got mine..
word. i have seen the HOG groups crawling up the road to lake tahoe being followed by pisssed off minivans, which is just sad.

i have also seen the HOG groups terrified and unable to cope with urban traffic in the bay area, which is forgivable, but not really edifying.

HOG may be great for collecting pins and patches, and whatever else they do, but for riding skills you should look elsewhere... unless you are going to ride in a slow parade on flat ground with no traffic around.

hahahha....

Last edited by dogtownmax; 07-07-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:02 AM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tackdriver

As for twisties in particular, one of the biggies is stay off that front brake. It serves a purpose, but leaned over in a curve it will drag you to the asphalt like a magnet. Feel free to gently drag the rear brake if you need to.
you can use the front brakes leaned over .No one is saying grab a handful of front brakes and lock the wheel but trailing the front in corner is not a no no.And done correctly will not have you eating asphalt.

check out page 2 brake/throttle
http://powersports.honda.com/experie...motocycle.aspx

Last edited by turn8a; 07-07-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by turn8a
you can use the front brakes leaned over .No one is saying grab a handful of front brakes and lock the wheel but trailing the front in corner is not a no no.And done correctly will not have you eating asphalt.

check out page 2 brake/throttle
http://powersports.honda.com/experie...motocycle.aspx
Turn8a,

If you don't mind I will add a caveat to your post.

BEFORE using the front brake while in corner technique, the rider MUST PRACTICE!!!!!

The rider must become very familiar with how it feels, and how the bike handles during application. As with everything, too much application will cause problems. Track racers have the advantage of knowing the track and practicing on it repeatedly. I have seen them running the same corner over and over working it and pushing the envelope and using all those techniques and it's a thing of beauty. That repetition gives them a good feel for the bike, the corner, the road and builds muscle memory and brain pathways so that when they enter the corner they are prepared mechanically, physcially and mentally. They are also confident in knowing what is around the corner, have good visibility all the way through the curve and the knowledge that there is NO chance of oncoming traffic.

Because those are NOT the same conditions out on the street, it's twice as important that any rider who wishes to use that technique on the roads and in the mountains PRACTICE it first. They must become totally confident and comfortable doing it before a street application. Futhermore like the riders on the track they must maintain that skill through regular practice.

So yes, you are correct. The front brake application while leaned over in a turn is a viable option on the street as long as the rider has practiced it, is comfortable and confident with it and maintains that skill with regular practice.

Mark

Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 AM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Paniolo
Turn8a,

If you don't mind I will add a caveat to your post.

BEFORE using the front brake while in corner technique, the rider MUST PRACTICE!!!!!

The rider must become very familiar with how it feels, and how the bike handles during application. As with everything, too much application will cause problems. Track racers have the advantage of knowing the track and practicing on it repeatedly. I have seen them running the same corner over and over working it and pushing the envelope and using all those techniques and it's a thing of beauty. That repetition gives them a good feel for the bike, the corner, the road and builds muscle memory and brain pathways so that when they enter the corner they are prepared mechanically, physcially and mentally. They are also confident in knowing what is around the corner, have good visibility all the way through the curve and the knowledge that there is NO chance of oncoming traffic.

Because those are NOT the same conditions out on the street, it's twice as important that any rider who wishes to use that technique on the roads and in the mountains PRACTICE it first. They must become totally confident and comfortable doing it before a street application. Futhermore like the riders on the track they must maintain that skill through regular practice.

So yes, you are correct. The front brake application while leaned over in a turn is a viable option on the street as long as the rider has practiced it, is comfortable and confident with it and maintains that skill with regular practice.

Mark

can't argue that great advice !!!!

Last edited by turn8a; 07-07-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:19 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a quick test to see if you are counter steering. Take some moderate curves and keep your body as perfectly vertical as possible. Do not lean with the bike. If you counter steer, the opposite lean will make no difference in a moderate turn and you will make the curve smoothly and confidently. Didn't feel smooth and confident? Then, you have a serious problem and need help immediately.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:28 PM
kickstandkaddy
Collections Hold
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I work here in So.Tahoe. I hear you guys go by all the time.
People haul A$$ on Hwy 50.
Deer play on that road too. I think its okay to be a little fearfull.
It will keep your speeds down and watch for Deer

Old 08-30-2009, 02:23 PM
raincrow
4th Gear

An interestiing thread to read. Having did a little riding 20 odd years ago and now trying to get back a few lost skills, I know the feeling. You start out on bicycles with the mantra lean right-turn right, which may work with rider weighing several times the vehicle weight. When riding years ago, I became concerned with the ability to deal with accident/obstacle avoidance. In a car/truck, you recoginize a situation and steer/swerve right or left to cope with whatever the hazard may be. But on a motorcycle it isn't that cut and dried, i.e. register the hazard then lean then turn; maybe too late. Twenty to twenty five years ago without the web and resources, I didn't hear of countersteering, did a little playing around with it, not knowing the proper name. Over the years, and more of late I've come to think that all riders moving at more than say 15-20 mph are using it to some degree. You're riding along on a bike that's weighing in at 600-800 lbs., very likely more with full tank and accessories. Add one or two riders, if two, most passengers are not "leaning", plus most bikes have two wheels acting as gyroscopes. Given this, the leaning effect of only the bike drivers upper torso is going to have a minimal effect on steering. It seems to me very likely that the rider/driver while leaning is actually pushing the handlebar in the direction of the turn, i.e. initially pushing the right bar as starting a right turn. I must agree with almost all posts in this thread, but think countersteer is being used by everyone. That being said, maybe an important part of the process is to understand the mechanics of whats happening in regard to steering/countersteering as opposed to the old lean right-turn right addage. IMHO Regards, Gary

Old 08-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Haywired
Road Master

One thing I did not see mentioned in reading the entire thread was proper lane positioning and set-up entering the corners. Many probably already do it but riders need to use the high-low-high technique like race cars use. You set up on the high side away from the corner and drive for the low point (apex-Sharpest part of the corner) and then accelerate away from the apex. Speed should to be set before entering the corner but can be reduced using a technique called trail braking using the rear brake and/or also using the motor by letting off the throttle (proper gearing selection is important). Riders should be looking as far through the corner and continue looking as far down the road as possible to select the best path of travel. As others have said, practice makes perfect. You can practice driving anything. By using the high low high technique you actually make the conrer wider than it appears by using your entire lane which as you progress will allow you to make corners at faster speeds.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 PM
FXDB
Advanced

Read artical in the October issue of American Iron, it talks about how to set yourself up for curves. Worth reading.

Attached Thumbnails not Comfortable riding mountain roads-av1.jpg  

Quick Reply: not Comfortable riding mountain roads