General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not Comfortable riding mountain roads

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:01 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-06-2009, 05:27 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have been going through the exact same thing myself. The advice about not looking down at your front wheel or to a spot only 30 feet in front of you is bang on!!!!! I have learned to do the twisties better but can't do them at 2 or 3 times the "recommended" speed. I know where I am going (and when with a group, where we are going) and I'll catch up!!!
Don't feel that you have to scrape the boards on every turn.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

I only saw one post in this thread where someone mentioned downshifting, and I have to agree - especially at higher speeds.

Keeping the bike in the power band through turns gives you one more way to adjust your lean angle. A little more throttle to comfortably increase the lean, a little less to decrease it.

There's nothing worse for me than "coasting" through a turn or having to use the rear brake in one because of traffic. Feels like I don't have the control I should.

When we ride the twisties I make it a point not to use my brakes before or in the turns, makes the ride a lot smoother and more enjoyable.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Originally Posted by twisty571
he had never ridin' in those kinda twisties before,where he lives in Texas is all flat lands
Speaking of Texas (though even in the DFW you can find "some" twisties, short and limited though they are) there's one other tip I would throw out there. A problem I encounter here is road conditions. The two biggest problems are gravel on a curve where a farm road meets up with it, and tar snakes on the curves when it's 100 degrees out. So even though I'm not focusing on the road in front of me, I try to stay aware of the road conditions going into the turn since, if I see tar snakes entering it, there will probably still be tar snakes in the turn itself so I slow down on those turns. Since things are mostly flat you can usually see a farm road past the turn even if high grass makes it hard to see the road in the turn itself.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:19 PM
JDB
Cruiser

I feel the same way. My electrglide is great for riding down the interstate, but riding moutain roads it is not. I have drug floorboards in parking lots. I also slammed it into a guardrail on a mountain road back when I thought I knew what I was doing. Wish I would have pulled over and enjoyed the mountain view.

It is amazing how little concern I had for the bike as I was flying through the air and then trying to figure out if all of my limbs were still attached, and oh yea, where is the blood coming from.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:22 PM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

Originally Posted by joe.1955
I only saw one post in this thread where someone mentioned downshifting, and I have to agree - especially at higher speeds.

Keeping the bike in the power band through turns gives you one more way to adjust your lean angle. A little more throttle to comfortably increase the lean, a little less to decrease it.

There's nothing worse for me than "coasting" through a turn or having to use the rear brake in one because of traffic. Feels like I don't have the control I should.

When we ride the twisties I make it a point not to use my brakes before or in the turns, makes the ride a lot smoother and more enjoyable.
I'm Joe's wife... and he's given me all that advice... plus practice, counter steer, look through the turn, etc, that others have said. But my favorite piece of advice from him... "Keep it between the lines!" It may sound over-simplified, but it works for me!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:53 PM
jeffzeg
4th Gear

Ionly have approx. 800 miles in the past 3 weeks on my 09-E.G. but 80% twisties Juliun, Big Bear, Ortega Our friends lead my wife and I on some good ones. But I did take it slow and didnt let traffic pressure me I would just take at my own pace.
The best tips are counter steer and look ahead at where you want to go. I also have gone through quit a few track days at Willow springs in older sports cars and the thinking is the same as far as looking ahead and choosing a line. One other thought that really has helped me is weight transfer, brake and decel in a straight line not in a turn just keep even power and slightly accel out of a turn. I do recommend the rider safty course I just completed the first day today and have the remainder tomarrow a.m.
I do plan on praticing skills I have learned in course and from this site. We need to reduce as much risk as possible. Jeff

Old 07-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Originally Posted by joe.1955
Good point. I had forgotten about that one also. Unless I'm going at a decent angle downhill into a turn, I try to avoid using my brakes and kick myself mentally if I do end up not being able to slow down enough just through downshifting, then start to kick it back up again in the turn.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Tackdriver
Cruiser

The secret to good riding is good technique. You develop good technique through good riding. So its kind of a loop., just go out there and ride that twisty, and then do it again, and again. You should always challenge yourself to be a better rider, its a lifelong quest.

As for twisties in particular, one of the biggies is stay off that front brake. It serves a purpose, but leaned over in a curve it will drag you to the asphalt like a magnet. Feel free to gently drag the rear brake if you need to.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:01 AM
DYNAJoe
Banned

Originally Posted by K00LJerk
I find it helpful to ride with a group, you'll be following by example in no time at all. Local HOG group or latch on to some new friends a biker events.

Your post gets my vote...for the worst advise ever...no one ever learned anything watching the bike in front of him...JMPO...you got your opinion..I got mine...

Quick Reply: not Comfortable riding mountain roads