General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not Comfortable riding mountain roads

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:41 AM
crock
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem you are having was mentioned earlier. You need to counter steer through the corner. Even on a Harley, your bike can lean way over in a turn. You can get through any turn until you hear the cases grinding. Just keep counter steering. The best tip I got on counter steering was to move my head closer to the inside mirror when starting a turn and then just keep a steady pressure on the inside hand grip while looking through the turn. Moving my head closer to the inside mirror and looking through the turn with your arms relaxed makes the counter steering feel natural. The difference between parking lot turning drills and curvy road turn drills, is that in parking lots you don't move your head towards the mirror, you stay upright and look through the turn. As the speeds increase a slight dip of the head and body towards the inside of a turn helps most people feel more stable in the turn.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:45 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take you time and get comfortable, if the cages can't wait let them go around. Don't let anyone force you to drive beyond your limitations, and look where you want to go,, Head and eyes up!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:15 PM
michaelm
Tourer

Listen to Ghosty. Best advice of all.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, I've been there. Just about the same time of year too. Watch for water on the roads from melting snow and ice. Beautiful country. But sure jump started my allergies.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by cowboy1
Practice on 80 as it's less twisty than 50...also stay off 88, 49 and some of those roads...
is 88 & 49 the roads u play on & u dont want some slow old codger on his barge gettin in the way????

Old 05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
OrangeTJ
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

88 and 49 are two great riding highways, but you do have to be comfortable with curves in order to enjoy them. Another great stretch of swervery is from Georgetown to Ice House/Crystal Basin Road and then Ice House/Crystal Basin Road to 50...or the other way and up to Loon Lake. Pure paved bliss.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:11 PM
abate1
Cruiser

Take the Expereniced Rider Course and practice, practice, practice, head turns WORK!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

You can take the MSF Experienced course, but its not going to get you what you want. Ride Like a Pro will help, but it isnt the answer for twisties either. Sportbike classes will help, but its all taught on a race track, not real world.

If you're in SoCal, and have a weekend to devote to learning something new, try Streetmasters http://www.streetmasters.info/ They turn mountain safety theory into a reality http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews...streetmasters/

Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Look ahead as far around the curve as you can. Do not look down at your front wheel or the road directly in front of you. If you keep your eyes and head up and look to where you want to go at the end of the visible curve, you will find yourself taking the curves faster and more comfortably and safely.
Exactly. And to aid in doing this what I do is POINT my chin in that direction also - eyes and chin and the bike will go through that curve/turn smooth as silk with no effort on your part.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you studied counter-steering? The Ride Like a Pro video will definitely make you a better rider. If you are nervous on curves I would say it is a counter-steering issue and would work on that first. I try to never exceed my skill level, don't go faster than I am comfortable, got nothing to prove.

Quick Reply: not Comfortable riding mountain roads