General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not Comfortable riding mountain roads

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:12 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosty
Also don't be ashamed to pull over and let traffic go by. You'll feel more comfortable and will learn better because of it. Again don't let ANYONE push you to ride beyond your skill level. After some quality low pressure practice I'm sure you'll become more confidant and more comfortable in the twistys.
+1. Ride at your comfort level. You'll get faster and relax more as you ride these roads more often.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
All good advice.

Remember to countersteer ALL the way through the curves. If you want to turn tighter, while going to the RIGHT, press the RIGHT grip FORWARD while keeping the throttle steady. Same application for going to the left, press the left grip forward with steady throttle. Remember to TURN YOUR HEAD while looking THROUGH the curve. Do NOT let your eyes get sucked into oncoming traffic, the drop off edge or anywhere else you do NOT want to go. Where your eyes go is where the bike will go.

Set your entry speed BEFORE entering the curve. Too many inexperienced riders come in too fast, feel themselves drifiting out, and then do things they should not, like rolling off the gas, turning the handlebars into the curve (which will countersteer them right off the road) or applying the brakes while leaned over. Any of these alone or in combination along with improper eye placement will at least make the bike unstable and possibly lead to an accident.

Some 90% of all motorcycle accidents are failure to negotiate a curve and usually it's single vehicle involved meaning the rider went off the road with no other vehicles present. Most of the times it was caused or precipitated by some of the above factors and actions.

Like the man said, PRACTICE. And remember practice is NOT going for a ride, it's working on a certain skill or exercise until improvement is achieved and maintained.
100% Correct and on the target.

Can not stress practice. Also there is nothing wrong with pulling over letting traffic past and gradually taking the ride at your own pace.

Also get to know your machine so you understand the mechanical dynamics and have further confidence.

And last relax and enjoy the ride.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:38 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, go back and read Paniolo's post for the fourth time--three is not enough. When you get that feeling that the bike is not taking the corners well, that is a typical symptom of lean steering instead of counter steering. I rode for decades using lean steering and lived to tell about it. Some of my friends have not been as lucky. I have to practice counter steering every time I ride, or it is easy to revert to the old ways.

Also, big twins are not at their best on twisty mountain roads. Take your time and ride safe.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 414 Posts

I wish we could trade demographics. I love curves, but here in northern Illinois there are only six curvy roads. Just kidding, of course, but we are quite limited.

As Paniolo said, when approaching a curve, it's important to look through the corner to where you want to go. Also, be sure to lean your body into the curve. Many riders are lazy and don't lean. This approach requires more steering input.

Keith Code's book "A Twist of the Wrist" is a good read on cornering.

Also, consider attending a track day school. I've been riding +30 years and I attend one every year. They're fun and I always learn something. The cornering skills you'll learn on the track apply to the street.

Last edited by Geoff; 05-21-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:46 AM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

My daughter is terrified of riding in the mountains. She thinks it may be due to her last child birth. It was a bit rough on her.
Sure hope she gets over it. The mountains are the only place I care to ride. Gonna work on it this summer.

If you keep going to the right on the road in the pic, you'll go up over Squaw Pass. Awesome road!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Love the look of your bike frogg

Old 05-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

there were two times where I had to pull over and let the cars go buy mostly on the down hill with 35MPH curves ahead
What works for me is to downshift to a lower gear and let the engine do some of the braking. If you're riding downhill it's easy to set your entry speed and then have it increase as you go through the turn even if you're off the throttle.

A few of the guys I ride with have commented on how "smooth" a rider I am. I'm a long ways from being a great rider and I'm still learning. The only thing that I know that I do different from my riding buddies is that I'm usually in a lower gear than they are. I'm not on the brakes as often. Yeah, the engine rpm's get up a bit but it sounds good to me.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Practice on 80 as it's less twisty than 50...also stay off 88, 49 and some of those roads...

Last edited by cowboy1; 05-21-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Practice makes perfect buddy, +1 you go where you look

Old 05-21-2009, 11:40 AM
slick10
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
All good advice.

Remember to countersteer ALL the way through the curves. If you want to turn tighter, while going to the RIGHT, press the RIGHT grip FORWARD while keeping the throttle steady. Same application for going to the left, press the left grip forward with steady throttle. Remember to TURN YOUR HEAD while looking THROUGH the curve. Do NOT let your eyes get sucked into oncoming traffic, the drop off edge or anywhere else you do NOT want to go. Where your eyes go is where the bike will go.

Set your entry speed BEFORE entering the curve. Too many inexperienced riders come in too fast, feel themselves drifiting out, and then do things they should not, like rolling off the gas, turning the handlebars into the curve (which will countersteer them right off the road) or applying the brakes while leaned over. Any of these alone or in combination along with improper eye placement will at least make the bike unstable and possibly lead to an accident.

Some 90% of all motorcycle accidents are failure to negotiate a curve and usually it's single vehicle involved meaning the rider went off the road with no other vehicles present. Most of the times it was caused or precipitated by some of the above factors and actions.

Like the man said, PRACTICE. And remember practice is NOT going for a ride, it's working on a certain skill or exercise until improvement is achieved and maintained.
This is great advice; right out of the MSF courses. Listen to the man! Whenever I ride, I decide what particular skill I want to work on and do it. It has really helped me to become a better rider.

Quick Reply: not Comfortable riding mountain roads