General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not Comfortable riding mountain roads

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
OrangeTJ
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're going to ride and live in this area (I'm in El Dorado Hills), you owe it to yourself to get comfortable. ALL of the best rides involve twisty roads around here. The key is to keep your speeds moderate and stay relaxed and loose on the bike. Look through the corners and force your grip on the bars to be light. Tensing up and death-gripping the bars will make everything feel harder. If you're riding close to the posted limit, the reality is that your bike can certainly make the turn. You just have to program your brain to believe it and that only happens by doing it, repeatedly.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're better off pulling over and letting cars pass you than riding beyond your abilities/comfort level. Pride kills!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:44 PM
rcpilot_971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thanks Guys

I have riden on the back roads non freeway and I feel Comfortable on those roads lower speeds 35 -45 mph and can handle the corners 10 mph over the posted limit no problem but for some reason on the freeway I just did not feel Comfortable I guess it was the speed just not use to it

Thanks Tim

Old 05-21-2009, 01:55 AM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

DON"T look at the signs.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:53 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

dont put a death grip on the bars jus hold them lightly, look 200yrds ahead at the hedges tree line it will tell you where the roads headin. if your not at ease with a corner go in slow & come out fast

Old 05-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
All good advice.

Remember to countersteer ALL the way through the curves. If you want to turn tighter, while going to the RIGHT, press the RIGHT grip FORWARD while keeping the throttle steady. Same application for going to the left, press the left grip forward with steady throttle. Remember to TURN YOUR HEAD while looking THROUGH the curve. Do NOT let your eyes get sucked into oncoming traffic, the drop off edge or anywhere else you do NOT want to go. Where your eyes go is where the bike will go.

Set your entry speed BEFORE entering the curve. Too many inexperienced riders come in too fast, feel themselves drifiting out, and then do things they should not, like rolling off the gas, turning the handlebars into the curve (which will countersteer them right off the road) or applying the brakes while leaned over. Any of these alone or in combination along with improper eye placement will at least make the bike unstable and possibly lead to an accident.

Some 90% of all motorcycle accidents are failure to negotiate a curve and usually it's single vehicle involved meaning the rider went off the road with no other vehicles present. Most of the times it was caused or precipitated by some of the above factors and actions.

Like the man said, PRACTICE. And remember practice is NOT going for a ride, it's working on a certain skill or exercise until improvement is achieved and maintained.
Good post.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,145 Likes on 3,669 Posts

You know i never took the MSF course...Rode for about 15 years, thought i was pretty experienced until my wife took the class...WOW....Took the book and took the course by myself...I practiced what the book preached and i learned so much...Especially looking where you want to turn....It works...I will pobly take the advanced course..

Old 05-21-2009, 07:07 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Where we live it's all mountian roads. Some of them have "trademark" names like the "Dragon" and people come from all over the country (and world) to ride them. Yet a surprisingly high number of riders feel just the way you do. Fortunately, you're on a Harley, so you aren't compelled by peer pressure or stupidity to over ride your skills. Every year we tag and bag too many sportbike riders that were just trying to keep up.

Posters so far have listed many tactical approaches to improving your skill level and for the most part they are spot on. Here's a strategic approach that can over arch their suggestions. Understand what you are trying to do, and what you want to do with your bike. Concentrate on being smooth and comfortable. If that is at a pace below the speed limit, fine, let the traffic pass. Once you are smooth and comfortable adding speed is the easy part.

Remember there are no trophys and no trophy girls for being the fastest one up the mountian. Although the police do occasionally give "awards" to the fastest riders.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Don't ride faster than your ability.
Be safe drive at your speed and not to over drive your self. If you have to let somebody go by so be it. Be safe and ride your ability and in time you will be do it without the pressure from other drivers.

Attached Thumbnails not Comfortable riding mountain roads-p6251095.jpg   not Comfortable riding mountain roads-p6251093.jpg   not Comfortable riding mountain roads-p6251053.jpg   not Comfortable riding mountain roads-p6251066.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Practice, counter steer, and don't rush for traffic. Everywhere worth seeing here in Colorado requires mountain riding, and it took me a good two years to feel real comfortable on a big bike.

Quick Reply: not Comfortable riding mountain roads