General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on helmets

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it dont sound like it is the right size. i have had one for a long time and mine also dont move around. any helmet you buy has to fit snug the inside does give alittle after awhile of alot of use.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
slick10
Road Master

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
D rings are the best way to secure a helmet. A lot people put clips instead. Get a comfy helmet. Try An ACC carbon fiber helmet from Carbonfiberhelmets.com. That is all I wear.
+1. Very comfortable!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 AM
bobernet
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All half helmets are not the same.

I have tried some that have so much internal padding, that even in the right size they sit high on the head and make you look like a mushroom. These tend to be unstable (for me) as you describe.

I just moved from an HJC Sy-Max II (modular, full face) to an HCI carbon fiber polo/half. It is DOT, but sits lower on my head, does not make me look like a mushroom, and feels every bit as stable as my HJC modular.

The trick, I think, is not to take recommendations from anyone else, because what fits their head is irrelevant.

Go into a big store with a LOT of helmets - ignore the color and price - and try on every single one. You'll know when you've got the "right" one.

The HCI I bought is not vented, and didn't have the "cool" removable ear pads - but it was light, comfortable, and the second I put it on, I said "oh, yeah - that's the one."

Try a lot and wait for the "ah hah" moment.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:19 AM
fly
Advanced

I have worn half helmets most of the time and the advice of trying a different helmet is right on the money.

I must say that I just got an Arai Classic 3/4 helmet as a gift...wow...best 3/4 helmet I have ever used.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:06 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 3 full face and one half and I gave up on the half. When I am on the sport bike I will use a full face, but most of the time on the sporty I just go lidless Even with alot of full face you will still get lift at higher speeds.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 PM
MNROD
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
Maybe just me dude, but full face helmuts and HARLEY'S JUST DONT SEEM TO MIX! We always say here in the NORTH, FULL FACE for RICE ROCKETS and SKULL CAPS for HARLEY'S!

Damn, I have a Harley and I wear a full face Harley helmet. Yeah, you don't see many Harley riders with the full face but I look like a mushroom from Nintendo Bros. wiht a half so I went with the full.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Scorpian EXO-100 fits very well, no movement.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ashenfang
thanks for the replies. I will look into the other helmet companies. My current one is a HJC.
HJCs are hot as hell. Big difference with Shoei. Check out the RF-1000 model.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:03 PM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
Maybe just me dude, but full face helmuts and HARLEY'S JUST DONT SEEM TO MIX! We always say here in the NORTH, FULL FACE for RICE ROCKETS and SKULL CAPS for HARLEY'S!
It is just you, dude. Plenty of Harley riders wear full-face and I live in the north.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 PM
BlackRob
Tourer

I've never seen a half helmet that didn't make the wearer look like a mushroom head or a gay polo jockey. Any helmet looks dorky, might as well wear the one that is most comfortable and gives the best protection.

Quick Reply: question on helmets