General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friends that Sit on ur bike w.o asking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:03 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whiskers
How about telling them a 'white' lie? It'll get you through an awkward moment, diplomatically get your point across and make a statement (that if they have any brains) ought to make them think about doing it again:

Something like...."you being my friend (or family)...I'm okay with you sitting on my bike without asking....but because we are friends (or family) I guess I ought to warn you that you shouldn't sit on anyones bike without asking them first...most men would consider it an insult just like grabbing their wives ***....so just be careful next time, my friend".
+1... I went to see my wife at work the other day and her boss sat on my bike without asking. I approached him and politely asked if I could take his girlfriend out for dinner and get a room afterward. You should have seen the look on his face! I said "Hey, at least I asked first!" Fortunately he's got a sense of humor. I explained to him you just don't walk up and sit on somebody's bike like that.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:38 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe find some new friends because they clearly do not respect you or your belongings.

None of my friends that ride or don't would just sit on it without asking first. That's all...just a little courtesy "Mind if I take a seat?"

Old 05-20-2009, 02:52 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by cst010
This topic seems to come up a lot.

I suppose it all depends on how you define a "friend." I have friends and I have acquaintances. My friends may sit on my bikes whenever they wish, they could even take them for a ride if they wanted. I don't know how old the kids are that sat on your bike but (while I hate to say this) kids will be kids and they often times don't think things through before they act; with kids, respect is taught, not aquired. I worry more a kid being hurt while playing around or sitting on motorcycles than what damage they could do to the bike.

Paint scratches and fades, tin dents, leather tears, and windshields break, all are easily repared. I will have different motorcycles 10 years from now but I will (hope) to have the same friends.

Now, if I were to find someone I do not consider a friend sitting on my bikes I feel it is in my best interest to educate them before doing something irrational.
+100. Great post. Anyone that values their bike over their friends probably doesn't have many "real" friends.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:03 PM
freddie6string
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EDZ82FXR,

There are 3 people that can sit on my bike without asking; my brothers and dad. and even then they ask me if they can sit on it or ride it. Yeah I have insurance on it but that isn't the point. The point here is respect. I have had friends that have sat on my bike and I quickly let them know that it is a repect thing and you must ask before getting on it. It treat my bike as good if not better than my wife. so since they are quick to touch my bike can I be quick to touch their wife?

I think you have to be straight forward and let them know where you stand. Friends or not, if you don't want people just hoping on your ride, you need to tell them. beating around the bush only frustrates you in the end.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:29 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

First off Ill explain when I say my boys I mean my friends not sons or anything like that..Im only 24 dont really need that stuff now I have a hard time trusting in ppl with my stuff cause I have been stabbed in the back too many times..Also like i said b4 none of my friends ride which is why this scared me to see that..My life isnt that I am strictly all about my bike, I waited a year and 1/2 to get this and I paid for it straight up all cash b.c i saved for it, it is sentimental for me *reasons i will not get into* I have insurance yes but I would rather use that for if something BAD happens *knocks on wood* Also I love my friends, this will not make me lose sleep over it and I have told them bout what others have done and that it is expensive, they know now that it really is expensive and they always apologize to me..I guess i wished at that moment ppl had more respect but I guess im raised in the old fashion way...Also the only person that can sit on my bike would be my father and brother..The only person that will ever ride my bike except me will be my father and thats it ...Love all the posts guys I like reading all this stuff Thanks

Old 05-20-2009, 03:51 PM
OrangeTJ
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally, I don't care if one of my friends sits on my bike. No way no how is that in the same category as grabbin' a buddy's wife's a$$. I wouldn't want somebody I didn't know just hopping on my bike, but a friend? It's just no big deal to me. My bike is worth quite a bit less than either of my cars and I have no problem with any of my friends driving one of my cars, much less just sitting in one. Why should the bike be different, providing the friend isn't so stupid/clumsy as to somehow drop the thing while just sitting on it? Again, a stranger or non-close acquaintance is a different story.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:00 PM
E.Richardson
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I've never had it happen. I guess because my friends that ride would never sit on my bike (without me telling them to for feedback or suggestions) and the people that are friends that don't ride are too afraid of dropping it.

The funny part is my wife called my best friend (03' Deuce) when she was gonig to surprise me with having my dealership put something on (can't remember) to ask him if he would ride my bike back after they were done. His response? "No."

He told her he meant no disrespect to her but he can't be the first to ride my bike when something new is put on or upgraded... it just violates "Man Law" and "Harley Law"

Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
abate1
Cruiser

Sorry don't sit or lean on someone else's bike, car -- don't borrow the wife or hunting dog either without permission!!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:18 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by E.Richardson
"

He told her he meant no disrespect to her but he can't be the first to ride my bike when something new is put on or upgraded... it just violates "Man Law" and "Harley Law"
I know what you are saying.But if my wife bought me a new xr1200(or any motorcycle) and had a friend ride it home to surprise me parked in the garage I would be happy!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:38 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Ya wanna sit on a Harley go buy one. I don't even touch another persons bike and I won't even ask. One possible exception is my riding partner of 50 yrs. If you don't understand, fine. I'm old school. Stay the phuk off my bike.

Quick Reply: Friends that Sit on ur bike w.o asking!!!