General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD buying experience...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 PM
IronRick
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD buying experience...

Hi guys new to the forum here and a first time rider. I wanted to share my buying experience with you guys here in Tx. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

So here in Houston the Iron is hard to come by, I guess seeing that it is new and all. I found a place that had one today in the kingwood area. So I called the sales guy and told him that I would be by there later on. I show up and he shows me the bike that he said had just been take out of the box and put together. I say okay lets sit down and talk about the numbers. We sit down and he asks about my credit and I tell him that it is great. So he punches in all his numbers and comes up with $12,600 with a 15.99% apr. (apr was before he ran my credit) I looked at him and said that bike is not worth $12,600. So he says well let me go over everything.

I listen to his spiel about the extended warranty, gap insurance and some other crap he wanted me to buy. He talked about maintinence and that HD mantinance is expensive. I said told him look I don't want an extended warranty bc I could get it down the line. He said no you can't, well you can get it 30 days before your warranty expires but it is more expensive. I told him that money was not an issue and I could pay for mantinance out of pocket. I then proceed to tell him that I am only using this bike as a toy. (I am a police officer here in Houston and I don't get much extra time bc I am always working overtime and what not. So this is just something to have fun when I have time.) So when I tell him that I won't be using it all the time he tells me that people that do not use their bike on a regular basis experience the most problems.

Again I told him money is not a problem, and that I do not want all the other stuff he is trying to sell. I only want to buy the bike. He also added in a $780 "set up fee". He tells me well you have to put down 10% on the bike. So I said I'll put down $1000. He then proceeds to tell me that he is not interested in selling the bike to me bc it is hard to find. So I told him no problem I will just get another sales person, and he tells me well they will tell you the same thing. I was pissed bc he wasted my time and I drove about 40min to get over there so I ended up leaving.

I don't need the bike right now, and I can wait untill they are more in abundace. I just could't believe that because I didn't want to buy all his extended warranty crap he did not want to sell me the bike. I'm not stupid and I feel sorry for the person that does go in there and buys that bike for $12,600. What do you guys think about my experience? Thanks for the help and btw you guys have a great site...

Old 05-18-2009, 11:05 PM
stevja1
Cruiser

I did sales with commissions once, and this guy just missed his pay check. The best thing you can do is what you've already mentioned. Go somewhere else. Get a sales person that is reasonable. It bugs me that you can look on the harley website and see a bike for 7.8k or so, and you go to the dealer and they want 12-13k. Its not worth it. At that price, you're competing with used '08 Nightrains and Softails with almost 1k miles... not Sportsters. Unbelievable. Especially in this economy.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:05 PM
frankjake
Road Master

I think your experiecne was very "typical" for any vehicle sales person, not just Harley.

But it's funny the sales person didn't want to sell you the bike, I wonder how long it will be before his next sale will be.

Our small, local dealer used to sell about 5 bikes a week, now they are lucky to sell 1. I'm sure it's got to be similar in other areas.

But good for you for leaving and not just taking what they tried to feed you. Some people would just say okay nd take the hook, line and sinker.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 PM
eliems
Cruiser

Call the owner and tell him this story and watch the price come down. Tell him your experience will be the talk of the lunch room at work.

The owner/manager wants the inventory out the door whereas the salesman wants more commission.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience. Fortunally you where smart enough to walk out rather than take the royal shafting. Don't feel bad it took me a second bike before I realize there are good dealers that want your business.

Other than that everything happens for reason, ie when the Rockers came out. Boy I wanted one. The dealer that I bought my Street Glide wanted to do another major shafting. Well I walked and this dealer is still sitting 08 Rockers. Funnything I got a Road King that I enjoy much more from a great dealer with a awesome HOG chapter in Fullerton.

Take your time and when you do get your ride take care.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:06 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

Funny thing is they never try to sell that gap insurance, extended warranty, maintenance plan stuff when I try to buy a vehicle. I guess by the point they get around to that stuff they already realize I am a cheap-skate and they will be wasting my time.

Really I don't know what is typical at a dealer today. I bought my bike 3 years ago and it was pretty bad. I thought about trading my bike in last september but the salesman was such an a whole, that I decided I would keep my bike until it wouldn't run anymore.

If you go in there having to have a certain model that is hot you are really hurting your bargaining power. Why get the Iron for more than you would pay for a nightster? Shop around and if you don't get your price you can always wait until August and they will be willing to deal then.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:29 AM
RiverWolf
Road Warrior

Interesting post, I had to think about my reply.
I just hate dealer bashing posts, and the word "stealer" makes my hair rise.
Your post does make one wonder, I say either talk straight to the owner,
or go to another dealer.
15.99 apr? huh?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:29 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting story ...

Your a cop and yet money is no problem. You must be a very good cop.

Just kidding, if you work in Houston then you earn your money.

Consider going to the credit union instead of using HD finance. In fact, if you can get your approval for the loan before hand (the credit union or bank goons will know the loan value of the bike) then you can just make a cash transaction. That will save you a lot of the hassle.

I've found that many HD dealerships do not negotiate. I think it's a hold-over from the time when they had waiting lists and they could charge way above MSRP. Some just don't get it, so you need to be prepared to work them hard. It's not like car sales, these folks are used to having to negotiate just to beet the same dealer down the street. HD has had it too easy, and the dealers are pretty much in collusion on prices anyway.

Since you're in Houston then you've got plenty of dealerships around you. Remember, though, that the bikes that are in highest demand will have less wiggle room on prices. The dealer may have been telling you the truth. There is still that old system of waiting until the right buyer comes through the door. Why give away $500 in profit when you can wait 3 weeks and make it with the next buyer?

I'd say walk into a dealer, get to know a salesman, and then shoot him an offer. Put it in writing (I usually put it on paper before I ever get there). Had it to him, with your phone number, and tell him to call when he's ready to sell at that price. Don't be afraid to tell him that you're going to other dealers. Shoot, I've told them that I'm even going to look at dealers in the next state over. The key is that you've got to actually go to the next dealer and shoot them an offer as well. You might spend an entire Saturday doing that, but eventually someone will call you to start the negotiation. Now you've got them working against each other.

Don't lie about a price or offer. A lot of these folks are not that stupid, so they know what the price margins are on these bikes. I watched a guy just last week tell the salesman he could buy an Ultra for $19,500 in Las Vegas. The salesman didn't laugh in his face, though he would have deserved it. No way you can buy that bike in Vegas for that price, and the salesman knew it. The buyer then got mad because the salesman wasn't taking him seriously. The reality is that the buyer set himself as a fool and that blew the whole negotiation.

Last edited by doc_cj; 05-19-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 AM
IronRick
Novice

Originally Posted by atomic
If you go in there having to have a certain model that is hot you are really hurting your bargaining power. Why get the Iron for more than you would pay for a nightster? Shop around and if you don't get your price you can always wait until August and they will be willing to deal then.
Thankx for all the feedback guys. I just bought a brand new car a couple of months ago and I didn't have this much trouble. This was just ridiculous. I am 26, but I look like I am 20, and I think he may have though he could just push me around.

As for Atomic I agree with what you say. I will just wait, bc as I stated before I am in no hurry what so ever. I still need to take my MSC as well. Funny thing is that I didn't think I was bargaining, all I wanted was the price at the advertised price. All that other crap was stuff I plain and simply did not want LOL. It's like going in to best buy, and wanting to buy a computer but they won't sell it to you bc you wont buy their warranty...

Old 05-19-2009, 12:42 AM
IronRick
Novice

Originally Posted by RiverWolf
Interesting post, I had to think about my reply.
I just hate dealer bashing posts, and the word "stealer" makes my hair rise.
Your post does make one wonder, I say either talk straight to the owner,
or go to another dealer.
15.99 apr? huh?
15.99% was the rate he was going to give me for financing. As for CJ thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware that HD still had that old mind set. O and as for money I'm not married, no kids and I have free rent bc I am an officer...

Quick Reply: HD buying experience...