General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD buying experience...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:09 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IronRick
So here in Houston the Iron is hard to come by...
hahaha... yeah... hahahahah....

oh man, yer killin me...

hahahahaa ahhahaaa...

oh man, you better jump on that bike before someone buys it out from under ya. hahahah...

Old 05-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Good job of walking out on him. You're obviously patient and not a push-over so use that to your advantage and keep watching - you'll find your bike and a salesman who deserves your business!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:41 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

$12600 I would of told him to stick it up his ****. There aint a 1200 worth that, much less an 883.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, talking to the owner will not likely result in a change of attitude. People that own businesses requiring a substantial investment generally have a pretty astute understanding of what their employees are doing. In fact, I would bet that the salesman's behavior is pretty much what he's been told to do. In SE Michigan dealers seem to fall into two categories: those that understand the current market and those that don't. Also, some dealerships are not monuments to H-D marketing and therefore don't have the overhead to support. The bottom line here is that this year I have already received an offer in the mail for 8-10% off a new 2009 (not model specific, CVO's not included). I was also told by a salesman this past weekend that I could buy a couple of different bikes I was interested in for MSRP out the door. If the Iron is really in short supply it's because the dealers didn't buy a lot of them, fearing being stuck with them. Not knocking anyone's choice, but aren't the Irons just an 883L with a $900 paint job?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

It's like buying anything...only buy it when it feels good in the gut...

Old 05-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dipshots are dipshots.. Do your homework about prices etc and talk to the owner of the dealership.. Mention the Blue Knights and watch the shot hit the fan>> Being a policeman u can spread a lot of good or bad stuff about his dealership!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain

I agree the salesman's approach will reflect the way the dealer works. Had a similar experience the other day looking to change my cage. Guy tried adding on gap insurance and a bunch of other stuff I did not want or could get cheaper 3rd party, even after I told him before hand I did not want it. Then tried to pressure me into a sale, mixing the figures and APR it was just sad. I walked out while he was in the middle of a sentence, that upset him but as I told him treat people that way you don't deserve any respect. It is a standard approach with car sales for some dealers, yet others operate differently. Same with bike dealers, just keep looking till you find one who is prepared to treat you with respect rather than as some 'mark' they are about to rip off. I hate to see people go bust in these times but honestly some of these ***** deserve nothing less.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 AM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

You did right walking out. There is a dealer in my area advertising "Employee Pricing" There is no way in hell you should pay more than MSRP out the door and even less chance unless you have horrible credit that you should pay 15%.

The dealer makes all the difference find on that will treat you right.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:59 PM
IronRick
Novice

Thanx again for all the good advise guys. I found one that came in today and got it for $9700 OTD, and a $100 gift card. I think that was a very reasonable price, and their customer service was outstanding!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 PM
MattV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IronRick
Thanx again for all the good advise guys. I found one that came in today and got it for $9700 OTD, and a $100 gift card. I think that was a very reasonable price, and their customer service was outstanding!

Good job...It pays to be patient

When buying something always play it like you really don't need it...be ready to walk...

Just as when selling something, never act like you need to sell it....It takes all of your bargaining power away.

I had a dealer quote me 12,700 on the Nightster last year...walked out and found another dealer that sold to me for 10,400 OTD...

Quick Reply: HD buying experience...