General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who else takes their bikes to NONdealerships for work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Sean Dempsey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who else takes their bikes to NONdealerships for work?

In another thread, someone mentioned something to me about taking my bike "up to the dealer."

Which got me thinking... I don't use a dealer. I have a bike shop here on my end of town that did all my dad's work on the bikes. He'd buy them from a dealership upstate, and have them trucked down to this shop to do all the upgrades and work.

If I need parts, I go to this shop. If I need service, I go to this shop. I don't think I've ever spent a dollar at the local Dealer here (zion hd). In fact, I'd only go there if it was life or death for the bike.

Anyone else just have a custom cycle shop that does all their work? Or do most people stick with dealers to take advantage of the warranty policies.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
codyshop
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
Anyone else just have a custom cycle shop that does all their work? Or do most people stick with dealers to take advantage of the warranty policies.
Not sure what you mean by "warranty policies" because by federal law, it doesn't matter who touches your bike. The warranty stays intact.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Brought bike to dealer for warranty work (HD's dime).

To local indy for all else except handlebar swap because Dealer Service Mgr gave me a deal on labor.

Sammi

Old 05-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain

I take mine to an indy shop. Of course, it's my cousin's shop. And it's over 300 miles round trip.

Only took it to the dealer once for a Dyno run.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Ruralmed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer is 3hrs away, so I used them for the 1k, then did the 5k myself. The local dealer does not inspire confidence, especially with modded rides. If I need something major done I'd have no problem using Greg Cohen Motors a local Indie.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:09 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine gets serviced at a Yamaha shop. Reason?

1. It's here in my hometown, not way off "there" as is the closest HD dealer.

2. A friend of mine is the Service Manager and I send him all the business I can afford to help them in these lean times.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,863 Likes on 3,506 Posts

Do my own service...It's form of relaxing satisfaction for me...Take it to the dealer for warranty work...other than that it's a Indy shop that changes my tires... i take them the wheel they change it.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took mine to an indy to get some new tires...Metzlers. All was good and I rode it to the coast last weekend and my wife drove the car(I gotta have my fishin' stuff). Well, we got on the bike the next day to check out some of the "bike week" goings on. Started to pull out on 17 and the thing sounded like the tranny was coming out of it. We were only about a mile from Beach House HD in Shallotte NC and I pulled in, took the left saddle bag off and the belt was floppin' like a fish. The indy had assembled the wheel spacers incorrectly causing the wheel to loosen...cost me a C note to get straight. The money I saved on the tires I lost getting it fixed. Dealers can screw up too but at least you can have some recourse....my .02.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:41 PM
codyshop
Tourer

Originally Posted by tallboy56
Dealers can screw up too but at least you can have some recourse....my .02.
What did the indy say when you told him and presented the bill? I'm very surprised he did not make good.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
HossNH
Cruiser

I like going to my Indy. I pull in and know that I'm talking to the guy that's actually going to work on it-- not the service manager who will have to translate what I'm describing.

Plus-- I always have other questions about this or that on the bike, and he's a wealth of knowledge and always free to share from his experience.

And when I work on my bike and mess it up, he's always able to bail me out

At least for me, it's worth giving him my business.

Quick Reply: Who else takes their bikes to NONdealerships for work?