General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who else takes their bikes to NONdealerships for work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have an indy here that is very good with bikes. The only problem I have is I will bring him the bike 2 weeks before we are leaving for a road trip and let him know when we are leaving. I get the bike back at the last minute after I have called him 2 or 3 times cutting it very close.

We are leaving for Texas Hill Country this Saturday and planned to do my own service but work and wife has other things in store for me. I called the dealer Cajun Harley Davidson Friday and asked if I could have a 5000 mile service and have the bike back for this comming Friday. They told me to bring it in Saturday and they would have it ready before the trip. I got there Saturday and they told me if I wanted to wait for a couple of hours, they would do it right then. It sure was nice to have the bike ready a week in advance. They also did a few things that I did not have the tools for. Thanks Cajun.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
redling36
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike hasn't seen the dealer since the day I bought it. I do all of my own work. I just don't trust others touching my bike, a loose bolt could cause a bad crash.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:46 AM
bruder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do my own wrenching,never will set foot in a service department of the stealership.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The last time my bike saw the dealership was because of a problem with third gear, they kept the bike for three weeks and did not find or fix the problem, I told them that the next time they saw the bike for the tranny problem, it would be in a box.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, I am taking my bike to the dealer to do the 1000 mile tune up (even though that passed 300 miles ago) but only because I want it documented that they did it incase I trade it in a year up to a bigger model. Other than that, I have replaced the back shocks myself and tomorrow my local custom shop is doing the front fork springs cuz I just don't have the time nor patience pluss I'd rather let them do it cuz they know what they doing. I will never have the dealer put anything on my bike unless its free and even with that "nothing" is free at the dealer

Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Good, not so good, bad, and downright awful at both dealers and indys. I do all the routine stuff myself. In 'most cases' both with try to 'make it right'. If you're a big enough biotch. I pull the wheels for tire changes and have the dealer put tires on them (I've had good luck with the Dunlops). Major work, I usually farm out. But in the future, unless I'm really 'stuck', I'll tackle that myself too.

I can always use more tools....

Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the 24 years I've been riding, I've never been to a dealer for anything. No warranty work, no repairs...nothing.

Oh, wait........I take that back.

I did go to the dealer every freakin' weekend when I had my Buell Cyclone for warranty work because the bike wouldn't run for more than 2 days without total failure. After a few months of that ridiculousness, I got ride of the Buell for a Honda.

Other than that Buell ownership experience (or should I say 'nightmare'), I've never had a single problem with any of my 14 new motorcycles.

Save for tire changes and brake pads, which I did myself.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Default the indy

Believe it or not, I got a chance to go by there today and file my complaint and he handed me $110 and gave me his apology. We then spoke with the tech and both were appreciative of the feedback and said they were glad no one got hurt. I think I can still do some business there...I just will consider what it is I need...that goes for any indy.
Originally Posted by codyshop
What did the indy say when you told him and presented the bill? I'm very surprised he did not make good.