General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who else takes their bikes to NONdealerships for work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HossNH
I like going to my Indy. I pull in and know that I'm talking to the guy that's actually going to work on it-- not the service manager who will have to translate what I'm describing.

Plus-- I always have other questions about this or that on the bike, and he's a wealth of knowledge and always free to share from his experience.

And when I work on my bike and mess it up, he's always able to bail me out

At least for me, it's worth giving him my business.
Greetings,

Ditto here. When I was putting on my apes I called my local indy, Watson's Wheels of Madness, and they helped me out a lot over the phone since they have done a lot of work for me. Plus, I've bought a lot of parts there over the years.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I met some nice people at Zion HD.

Crazy Mary set me up with some directions, a map, and food locations when I was there for a stop while riding. It was raining and I needed a break and saw the sign. Seemed like real nice folks there.

Lots of the "custom" shops around here are real fly-by-night. There one day and gone the next. Anybody can call themselves whatever they want, but that does not mean they do good work.

I try to do most myself. I've used the locals, and have used the dealers. I've had good and bad experiences with all 3.

If you have an Indy that does good work-treat them nice.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,262 Likes on 7,396 Posts

I have a local independent shop that is FANTASTIC and they do all my non-warranty work.

Clemmons Cycle

http://www.clemmonsmotorcycles.com/

Just west of Winston Salem on I-40. Kenny, Jamie, Coy and Henry are GREAT.

I really like the Harley dealer I bought my bike from. The owner is a super guy that is well respected. The clothing people are awesome, the parts people are really good and I like the sales staff. The problem is that I feel like a nobody in the service department. They NEVER remember that you have even been there before not even the next day when you go to pick your bike up. They have for some reason an I don't care take it or leave it attitude. So I found an indy that is really good and I enjoy going over there to visit them.

They also were the guys that changed my tins out when we did the custom paint and they chromed the front end and put the billet wheel on.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

now that warranty is out I have used and will use the Indy more.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take mine to an independent for tires, brakes and such. Do the rest of the maintenance myself.

Service intervals can be done by independents or yourself. Warranty work (2 year/24,000 miles) and recalls however must be done by Harley Davidson if you don't want to be charged.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:00 PM
EasyGT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

indy does all my work, which is only the stuff i dont the tools for

Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried taking my bike to an indy here, several times. I wound up fixing both problems myself by getting out the manual and doing a little studying. I have had a rear tire put on by one indy and a front by another. For tires and stuff I will continue to use them, anything else I will fix it myself. I have never used the local HD dealer for anything, maybe I never will have to, we'll see. There is a certain amount of satisfaction in fixing your own stuff that is over and above the money saved, I feel good knowing I remedied two problems that the local guys couldn't fix.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Reino
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local dealer is 200km away. He offers a pick up and drop off service but then you are without a bike for a week and he charges for the service. It is more convenient for me to take it to the local non dealer shop. He is good with Harleys.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:45 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

all I used the dealer for was to buy my bike. Texas Outlaw Cycles of San Antonio has done everything else to it. the owner Chris, is an HD trained tech that really knows his way around the motorcycle, and will spend the time detailing what needs to be done, or what has to happen and why.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:50 PM
todd493
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Indy

one of the indy shops here is renowned as an excellent service shop. I enjoy going there for parts, the attitude is very "riders welcome". So if the time ever comes that I can't it repaired myself, I'll take it there.
However I have no problem with buying parts or accessories from the H-D dealership, and my friend always takes her 93 sporty there for service. The dealership is very community involved always sponsoring or hosting an event to help a local group.

Quick Reply: Who else takes their bikes to NONdealerships for work?