General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance estimate

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:44 AM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Insurance estimate

Yesterday a friend of mine came over to look at my bike. He use to ride and is now thinking about getting back into it. So he asked if i minded if he sat on my Electra Glide to see how it felt. So to make a long story short he picked it up off the side stand and it kept right on going till it was laying on it's right side. I about had a heart attack. So I called my insurance co and they told me to get an estimate. Went to the dealer and about had my second heart attack. Total came to $2500.00. I know my friend feels sick about it but I feel like the guility one asking him to atleast pay or help with the deductable. He didn't offer to help out , which if I had been in his shoes I would have offered to make things right. He is trying to make me feel like its my fault for letting him on it. I don't know what to do! Have any of you guys had any similar experiences. I might just have to eat my deductable on my comp. I am so sick, my nerves are shot.
Clap

Old 05-11-2006, 07:18 AM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Insurance estimate

Wow....at the very least he should pay your deductable I would think.

That's one of those touchy subjects that tests friendships. I would say he dropped the ball on the friendship challenge when he didn't offer to help and then tried to blame you (playing or not, that's a tender spot).

I've been in these situations before and there's different answers for different situations. It's basically his responsibility on a "what's right is right" level and if it was me I would have offered to fix it by buying parts (some off ebay, some from dealer, etc....and done the work ourselves over some beers in the garage). I'd of felt bad if you had to go as far as to make a claim with your insurance. It's time to put him back in friendship test-mode and tell him to pony up with the deductible....or atleast half.

But hey, it's your friend, so it's your perspective.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:06 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hummm looking for a new friend? Hows his wife look? Make take her for a test ride and call it even. Reason #1 unless they own a bike and I know where they stand on this exact issue you aint sitting on mine. Sounds like it may be an expensive lesson for you, hope you two can work it out

Old 05-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Bigfoot
Tourer

That is sad - If I dropped someone else's bike I would not be able to sleep at night if I did not pay for the damage. You are well within your right to ask him to at least pay the deductible - I would ask for the whole thing, it is just like if you lent him your car and he wrecked it. If he blows up about it, he was not a very good friend anyway.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Crankshaft
Road Warrior

So, a 'friend' comes over, asks if he can sit on your bike, drops it causing $2500 damage and then tries to tell you it's your fault?
I'm sorry but with friends like that, who needs enemies?[sm=shootshoot.gif]
If I did something like that to a friend's bike, there's no way it would cost him a cent, I'd pay it all myself.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:00 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some friend you have there. If that happened to me, I'd truly expect any "friend" that I had to make the offer of paying for the damage, or at least picking up my deductible. If a sincere offer to make it right was made, I might even let it go, depending on how much I valued that person's friendship. I'd speak to your friend, w/o getting crabby about it and see what his attitute is. If he refuses to pay for anything, which I take is the way he's leaning, you can either write off the friendship, let it go completely or consider small claims court, either way you come out on the short end.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:09 AM
kytown2
Advanced

Your friend should offer to pay for all of it. A claim, any claim and one of that size in particular can make your rates go up. I am not saying that is fair, it is just the way insurance works.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Bear64
Banned

First off, as your friend, and if it was me that dropped your bike, first thing I would have said, after I'm sorry, what is the duct. i'll take care of it. if you didn't want to go to the insurance i would have paid for it all..but part of the blame does lie with you, you did give him permission to sit on it..it sounds like you have learned a lesson on friendships and how sometimes they aren't worth a darn..Good luck, hope all works out for you. [sm=biker.gif]

Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 AM
mrghos
Road Master

I see it both ways. You gave him permission and he dropped it. I say you both split the deductible and call it a day. I doubt this claim is going to make your rates go up. Now if you had a series of small claims then yeah it might. I would not worry about the ins. part of it just yet. I would be seeing where my friends head was at with paying half the deductible.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:16 PM
rj164
Road Master

Sorry to hear about your bike, I agree with the others, He should pay some of the deductible, I have people just walk up who I know sit on my bike with out asking, and I got mad, just be careful of people.

Quick Reply: Insurance estimate