General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much difference can a seat make??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:35 PM
ArkyDave
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How much difference can a seat make??

I'm new here and I'm thinking of adding a more comfortable seat to my Dyna low rider. The seat I have is ok but after 100 miles my rear begins to hurt. I have read where seats like Mustange can prolong this..My question is for those who have switched seats and how much difference they made? thanks, David

Old 05-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArkyDave
I'm new here and I'm thinking of adding a more comfortable seat to my Dyna low rider. The seat I have is ok but after 100 miles my rear begins to hurt. I have read where seats like Mustange can prolong this..My question is for those who have switched seats and how much difference they made? thanks, David
I can only speak for touring bikes and seats but I imagine its much the same with any seat. It can make all the difference in the world in an enjoyable long distance ride and a miserable ride. One word of caution don't buy without sitting on it first. You may have to ask to sit on someone's bike you barely know or don't know at all but most people don't have a problem letting you. If it is a seat that a dealer has in stock, I have never had a problem with them letting me install it to at least sit on before I purchase it. If you happen to be at some of the larger rallys there sometimes is a Mustang vendor or the Mustang co itself there or some of the other seat mfg's. Hope this helps.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:44 PM
wolfshead1
Tourer

There must be a diff.Take Corbin for eg.Big prices,poor customer service but they ride.Mean city cycles makes bad seats good seats.It is a shame that Most American cruisers come with the cheapest insides and outsides.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:47 PM
refugee
Intermediate

I changed the stock seat for a HD pillow look seat 0n my SG custom.This seat is really comfortable for me and the wife two up.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:51 PM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Seat make a HUGE difference. IMO the stock seats leave a lot to be desired. I'm my experience what was a 100 mile seat can easily turn into a 500 mile seat with a good aftermarket seat.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:59 PM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8,555 Likes on 2,495 Posts

Mustang...!!!!!!!
Put one on my FXR and LOVE IT...!!
Wait until you can try a few, and pick one you like...there IS a difference.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:41 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

The seat can make a tremendous difference if you take long rides. But just sitting on a seat in the showroom will not necessarily give you an accurate idea of how that seat will feel after eight hours in the saddle. You basically will need to take other's experience and run with it.

In my experience, a firm seat holds up better over hours and days and years. I have had very good experiences with two different Corbin seats. They are firm but they do not feel any firmer at the end of the day than they felt at the beginning. I have been able to ride comfortably all day long on a Corbin Dual Tourer on a Softail Custom and on a Corbin Classic Solo on a Road King Custom. This is my experience so take it for whatever it's worth to you but if your rear begins to hurt after 100 miles, you need a different seat. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:54 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Switched the RK seat for a HD replacement seat. Mucho better. My Heritage seat is stock and not bad but I'd like to change it also except it's the 150th anniversary seat so I want to keep it. The stock seats on most of the Harley's are only adequate.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

Sundowners work good. I have Mustang but i am thinking of sending my stock seat to mean city cycles.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:56 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You didn't mention what year you have. But if it's anything like what my old 05 was. The stock seat sucks big time! I tried a couple of different seats. All HD's mostly due to price and finally settled on the touring seat with the built in backrest. That ended up being perfect for me. The back support was good and the seat was surprisingly comfortable to sit on all day long.

Quick Reply: How much difference can a seat make??