General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could some Harley Dealers be next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:36 AM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have my V-Star,the only reason I didn't get a HD before was the price.I finally sat down and said to my self "I only live once F#&k the price" and when I told my wife she replied what the h**l took you so long,went out the next day and bought me an flhtcu with everything that you can get on it,so yes most of the guys that ride metrics can't afford an HD or when they look at one they get the "sticker shock",but sooner or later they do get one.Just my opinion.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:36 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

i heard fiat had brought chrysler & a large chunk of gm europe (opal n vauxhall). so unless hd got brought by someone else it wont change

Old 05-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,488 Likes on 4,381 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
I got a ways to go...I hit 49 this August...I'm thinkin' of refinancing the mortgage and having the house paid off before retiring...That'll really cut into the budget now but I don't want to be payin' on a mortgage when I cash in the chips!

I went to my 30-yr HS reunion last summer and more than a few were already retired.....They were the ones who got their Doctorate at age 26 and got into Medicine/Health-Care.......Sure hope I live long enough to get to relax!

I do have a 401K......Or I should say that I used to.....Right now it's enough to live on for 6-months! Oh well, so long as I live until 60-something! LOL
Congrats for moving into a higher level of planning at age 49! If health is Ok, it's a prudent thing to be able to target age 62, when SS can begin, for at least your "first" retirement. And the refi that enables being debt free by then can be a fantastic value move. Methinks that having the flexibility to pull the trigger at 62 creates real FREEDOM to revise your plans as that time comes and goes.

Sorry for the rambling... but good for you for doing the planning!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:02 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If the dealers weren't so darn cheap, and would give fair deals, they'd sell a whole lot more bikes... BUT NO....

Old 05-17-2009, 11:08 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmything
If the dealers weren't so darn cheap, and would give fair deals, they'd sell a whole lot more bikes... BUT NO....
Price shouldn't matter to Harley buyer's. If you read this forum long enough you will discover that only rich people buy Harley's. People that ride metric's only ride them because they can't afford a Harley.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
Price shouldn't matter to Harley buyer's. If you read this forum long enough you will discover that only rich people buy Harley's. People that ride metric's only ride them because they can't afford a Harley.
I don't know if its all "can't afford", or if its "don't choose to spend that much ching", but I ride with a group of riders that changes all the time depending on who is available (Patriot Guard). I'm always going over to meet new guys and look at their bikes. I check out a lot of metric cruisers and talk to the guys on them. Most of the metric mid-size cruisers are available for under $10K, and some for quite a bit less than that (not referring to the Goldwings).

It's hardly a scientific poll, and lots of metric riders are happy with their bikes, but nearly all the guys I've spoken to told me that price was a consideration for them. In other words, they were on a metric cruiser because it DIDN'T cost $20K to get into it.

Whether most guys who ride metric cruisers just preferred metric cruisers, or are happy to have not spent $20K on a Harley, or whatever, the majority of the guys I've met who are on metric cruisers factored price into their decision. Many indicated that if Harley's were less expensive they would be riding them, but that they weren't about to spend the cash it would cost them to get into a more expensive bike because they had other things going on in their lives that soaked up disposable income.

Not that I care one way or the other.

Whatever you ride, ride safe.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:38 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
I don't know if its all "can't afford", or if its "don't choose to spend that much ching", but I ride with a group of riders that changes all the time depending on who is available (Patriot Guard). I'm always going over to meet new guys and look at their bikes. I check out a lot of metric cruisers and talk to the guys on them. Most of the metric mid-size cruisers are available for under $10K, and some for quite a bit less than that (not referring to the Goldwings).

It's hardly a scientific poll, and lots of metric riders are happy with their bikes, but nearly all the guys I've spoken to told me that price was a consideration for them. In other words, they were on a metric cruiser because it DIDN'T cost $20K to get into it.

Whether most guys who ride metric cruisers just preferred metric cruisers, or are happy to have not spent $20K on a Harley, or whatever, the majority of the guys I've met who are on metric cruisers factored price into their decision. Many indicated that if Harley's were less expensive they would be riding them, but that they weren't about to spend the cash it would cost them to get into a more expensive bike because they had other things going on in their lives that soaked up disposable income.

Not that I care one way or the other.

Whatever you ride, ride safe.

Exactly, I was posting tongue in cheek. Every time the subject comes up here that's all you hear, "They only ride metric's because they can't afford a Harley". It's the biggest BS I've ever heard!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 AM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
Lower sales may affect dealerships but doubtful that The Motor Company will be affected....H-D has survived many a storm; this is only another hurdle The Motor Company has already jumped in the past!
I agree.

I think Harley Davidson went through the GM/Chrysler situation years back. The older, wiser, riders should all remember the AMF years!

With that said, Harley Davidson, I believe, has corrected and should be prepared to survive this.

I can only speak for myself on this one, I have wanted a Harley for too long. But the local dealership was always $5000.00 over MSRP. Now sales are down and everything is more realistic concerning sales pricing.

Let's face it, the late 90's was a cash cow for American Motor Companies. Hell, even Indian tried to come back. Now there are quite a few independent motor companies building custom bikes still today.

I think those smaller companies may fall sooner than Harley Davidson. When I say smaller companies; I'm talking about Titan, OCC, Bigdog, American Iron Horse, etc. Too much money for a catalog bike assembled.

Just my $ 0.02

Old 05-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcrider1
Exactly, I was posting tongue in cheek. Every time the subject comes up here that's all you hear, "They only ride metric's because they can't afford a Harley". It's the biggest BS I've ever heard!
Hey, MetricCruiserRider1, it sounds like you were agreeing with the poster who was saying "They only ride metric cruisers because they can't afford a Harley.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:52 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been on a Harley exclusively for 39 years ..

No I'm not "rich" ..

Price has never been an issue with me .. If I have a choice between an $8000 metric or a $20000 Harley , to me it's a no brainer ..

I consider them like one would an automobile , they are not a "Luxury Item bought with Disposable Income " to me .. They are transportation that just happens to be a heckuva lotta fun along the way ..

However that said , I do know people who own a Harley and most definetly cannot afford it .. I know their family does without necessary things because of the Harley , and that is not right ..

I wonder why most of the peeps I know who have metric clones of a Harley , and say they are "happy with this bike and dont want a Harley" , always manage to remove all the brand name badges off the bikes , and ya hear 'em telling others "well it looks like a Harley"

Quick Reply: Could some Harley Dealers be next?