General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could some Harley Dealers be next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got a friend with a Vstar. Wears hd shirts and continually asks if he can sit on my lowrider. To each his own, but I will keep my hd's.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:37 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Sled
I don't think the MoCo would have a need to term. dealers along the lines of why GM and Chrysler did. The economy will probably do some of that plus the regular exit of a dealer occasionally who doesn't deserve to be in business.

There's something more to this deal of GM and Chrysler (huge govt. loans that are going to turn into bad loans) terming a large percentage of dealers than my poor brain has been able to figure out yet.

When I was with Ford corporate we felt one of the biggest advantages GM had over us was the major number of dealer outlets vs. Ford/Merc.
I have a theory on this that I think is partially correct , may be wrong , but dont think so .. If I put it up here , I'd probly be banned ..

Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,857 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Baggerdriver, there are a lot of people who haven't spent time in third world or possibly in 2nd world countries to really understand what is right with this country. Some don't understand what the pres. is trying to control is against the Constitution. Oh they want their freedoms but don't realize these freedoms didn't come free. Any company that received TARP monies now belongs to the gov't. and must answer to the gov't. and the BHO White House.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LAMing
"BTW, has anyone else got their SS statement yet?"

Yes. We received our projected retirement statements. Wife and I combined lost $500 monthly off our SS even though we're making as much/more money than ever before.

In bold letters across the bottom of our statements read to the effect "These projections are according to the latest laws".

Thanks Obama!

How did you fare SportsterBob?
If I claim SSD NOW and get it, I'm at $1,568/mo

If I retire at 62 it's $1,174/mo

If I retire at 67 it's $1,774/mo

If I retire at 70 it's $2,246/mo

This is only if I keep my current pay rate....With all the layoffs I endured, there is no guarantee.....My fingers are crossed!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Baggerdriver, there are a lot of people who haven't spent time in third world or possibly in 2nd world countries to really understand what is right with this country. Some don't understand what the pres. is trying to control is against the Constitution. Oh they want their freedoms but don't realize these freedoms didn't come free. Any company that received TARP monies now belongs to the gov't. and must answer to the gov't. and the BHO White House.
Agree 100% ..

A lot a people are fixin' to find out how the rest of the world lives ..

They wont like it , and they'd best not speak out against it ..

Old 05-16-2009, 08:17 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
... Harley has way more personality than a BMW, Or any jap bike. ...
You can say that again.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,488 Likes on 4,381 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
If I claim SSD NOW and get it, I'm at $1,568/mo

If I retire at 62 it's $1,174/mo

If I retire at 67 it's $1,774/mo

If I retire at 70 it's $2,246/mo

This is only if I keep my current pay rate....With all the layoffs I endured, there is no guarantee.....My fingers are crossed!
Bob,
I'll bet you know how to compare the options (not SSD) to see when to pull the trigger. But, if you are within a year or two of 62 and do need some idea of how to do that, PM me. Naw, I don't have anything to sell or anything like that... just a perspective on the decision-making.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:07 PM
ronny c.
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the dave ramsey show last week , he reported that harley davidon motor co. opperates completely debt free. g.m.'s problems were caused by g.m.a.c. home mortgages, more then anything. chrysler claims that 20 percent of there dealerships make 90 prcent of there profit. they will be cutting back production so much they wont be able to supply the ones there closing. AND lets face it, people buy metric bikes because harley is still living down the a,m,f, years

Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up True

Originally Posted by leicafish
Easy when when you are in bankruptcy you can do what ever the trustee allows. In the case of GM is would would be common sense take the buy out of your contract or when we enter bankruptcy you will get nothing.

Just a repeat of big steel. Funny everyone is crying about the Dodge and GM what about the poor bastards at Maytag and Whirlpool.
How true no one gave a damn when US Steel, Youngstown Sheet and Tube, Bethlehem Steel, Republic Steel all went down the drain along with most Major Mining companies as well... What major companies didn't falter sent everything overseas as well and now we get whiny butts who didn't care at all when this started in the late 70's early 80's

Old 05-16-2009, 09:45 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Sled
Bob,
I'll bet you know how to compare the options (not SSD) to see when to pull the trigger. But, if you are within a year or two of 62 and do need some idea of how to do that, PM me. Naw, I don't have anything to sell or anything like that... just a perspective on the decision-making.
I got a ways to go...I hit 49 this August...I'm thinkin' of refinancing the mortgage and having the house paid off before retiring...That'll really cut into the budget now but I don't want to be payin' on a mortgage when I cash in the chips!

I went to my 30-yr HS reunion last summer and more than a few were already retired.....They were the ones who got their Doctorate at age 26 and got into Medicine/Health-Care.......Sure hope I live long enough to get to relax!

I do have a 401K......Or I should say that I used to.....Right now it's enough to live on for 6-months! Oh well, so long as I live until 60-something! LOL

Last edited by SportsterBob; 05-16-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Could some Harley Dealers be next?