General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning Spokes???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Original Junior
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Spokes???

I checked my spokes and the fronts sounded good but I found at least 2 on the rear that sounded different when tapped. They were the top 2 of the rear wheel. I have a couple questions on this. Does the bike have to be raised off the ground to accurately check the spokes or can I leave it on the floor like I did (I suspect the reason the top two thuded instead of pinged was due to it being on the floor and not on a lift)? Then, what is the correct procedure to tighten these? Is it "righty tighty" and "lefty loosey"? To be honest, this is the first time I ever checked the spokes on any bike I rode. I've been reading a lot of posts about safety and spoke tightness so I figured I better learn. I looked in the DIY section but did not find a detailed posting of how to do this correctly. Thanks.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:14 PM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tuning Spokes???

FYI just IMHO turning Spokes is a art like ice carving, if you try to do it and not know wht your doing you will end up with a mess. Take it to a pro.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Original Junior
Road Master

I assumed that originally but from what I ead here it seems most do it themselves. Now the debate begins...

Old 05-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Lacing a wheel is an art form....

You cannot just tighten up the loosened spokes...

You have to remove tension from other spokes, and evaluate the lateral and radial true....

Go ahead and tighten them up.. put your wheel out of true.... You won't like the consequences....

JMPO...

Old 05-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Original Junior
Road Master

Bob & Geno, thanks for the input. Now, since my bike is not on a lift, would that cause the top 2 spokes to sound different then the rest? My logic was pressure/weight on the rim. Does this sound feasible. My bike only has 2600 miles. No burn outs or stunts what-so-ever. Does this sound possible that my spokes my need to be checked by a dealer? Is this under warrenty? The reason I ask, I was on the highway the other day and got a slight wobble. I slowed from 70 mph and dismissed it as winds and a semi I was passing. Now I hear and read about wobble caused by loose spokes and thos just tightening up the loose ones and wobble fixed. I'm going to have to get out on the bike again to check my assumption.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:28 AM
Original Junior
Road Master

So, where are all those that DO tighten your own spokes? Any tips, tricks, or suggestions?

Old 05-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

It is loose spokes...

Get the dealer to repair them....

ESPECIALLY IF IT IS A NEW BIKE!!!!!!

This (Depending on the dealer) could be a warrenty, or they will have you pay... Some dealers are Azz's....

Old 05-11-2006, 03:57 PM
LRonHoover
Banned

Spokes.... first thing I get rid of.... every time...

Old 05-11-2006, 06:07 PM
skywagon
Cruiser

Easy, get a spoke torque wrench.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:56 PM
midwesttom
Cruiser

I just went through this on my 2006 FLSTC I have a wobble at 40 miles per hour only noticed on coasting down from highway speeds. Took to a dealer near my home NOT where I bought the bike they wanted 41.00 bucks to tighten stering head so I left. I read on here where someone had the same thing on his bike and he tightened the spokes and problem solved. So I check the spokes and find two or three that sound way differant than the rest so I tighten them to sound the same. Now it wobbles at exceleration or coasting I'm so good. So now the dealer where I bought the bike is picking it up Friday to fix the problem. They have been wonderfull to deal with. So after all this BS don't mess with the spokes. But why does a brand new Harley wobble at 1000 miles that is BS in it's self. I'm having alot of little problems but I love riding this bike. I will get to the bottom of the problems I promise. Sorry I vented you all are great Tom

Quick Reply: Tuning Spokes???