General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newer used metric or "older" Harley? Seriously-

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009 | 09:09 PM
pax maac
|
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer used metric or "older" Harley? Seriously-

Hey everyone,

I am unfortunately bikeless right now and jonesing bad for a new scoot.

Finances dictate that I can afford a later model metric, or an older Harley. I am amazed of the prices of used Harleys.

I found 2 93 Harleys that I might be able to afford. A 93 Heritage Softail and a 93 Electraglide Sport. The Heritage has 41k and the Electra 29k.

My wife and I like to tour, and I am handy, but no mechanic. I don't mind wrenching, but I want to be able to tour with the wife safely and not worry too much about if something bad is going to happen mechanically. I am a bit neurotic and like for my travel plans to go smoothly and without a hitch. So far, so good.

My choices are these- get a metric (found a cheap Valkyrie) and keep saving until I can afford a Road King

-or-

Get an older Harley (and keep saving until I can afford a Road King), but by then the Harley will be really old (and harder to sell?)

I really can't decide. I am dying to have a Harley, but I am also just dying to get back on a bike-any bike.

What do you think? Is a 93 too old? Assuming that it wasn't babied, nor abused, just normal wear and tear and maintenance.

Old 05-13-2009 | 09:31 PM
BlackRob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking at selling the bike and getting a new Road King soon I would buy the bike with the best resale value- an older Harley. Metric cruisers hold no value what so ever, that's why you can buy a newer one so cheaply. It will drop in value a lot faster than an older Harley. In my humble opinion Harleys are easier to maintain and more reliable than metrics from my experience.

Old 05-13-2009 | 09:35 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Hell no it's not too old. Ask the owner if you can have it checked over by a Harley Mechanic. If he says yes then it's probably in pretty good mechanical condition. If he acts like he doesn't want to let you have it checked out he's probably not telling you something. I sold my 84 Evo Softail in 04 for more than I paid for it new so don't think that just cause it's old you wont get anything for it. They go down until they bottom and then start going up in value.

Old 05-13-2009 | 09:41 PM
pax maac
|
5th Gear

The Electraglide seller describes it as "extremely well cared for" and that he'll deliver it to the buyer at a Harley dealership if you want. But the pic he includes in the ad is terrible. I'm going to check it out ASAP anyway.

Thanks guys. I'm just going batty not having anything to ride.

Old 05-13-2009 | 09:41 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the Harley. The EVO engine is bullet proof and both of the bikes you listed have really low miles. I have a friend with a 91 Heritage and it is just as reliable to him as my 09 Heritage is to me.

Old 05-13-2009 | 09:49 PM
macksdaddy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by travroc
Get the Harley. The EVO engine is bullet proof and both of the bikes you listed have really low miles. I have a friend with a 91 Heritage and it is just as reliable to him as my 09 Heritage is to me.
Agreed!!! Gotta love the Evo...some do some dont I'm happy as hell with mine.

You also have to look at what you have to spend and what area of the country you are in too. I've seen bikes in southeastern states a lot lately going for 30% lower than what they would normally go for. TN prices for private seller purchases seem to be up and down. There are some good deals out there ya jsut gotta look but regardless make sure you check all of the bike out first even go as far to check details you wouldnt think....swing arm etc for cracks and damage.

Old 05-13-2009 | 09:49 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get the older Heritage. I've seen early 90's Evo Softails go for around $8k. About the price of that newer Valkyrie, I'm sure. And, like others said, the Evo is bullet proof, and there's a LOT of low milage ones out there.

Last edited by Slowpoke84; 05-13-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2009 | 09:52 PM
OrangeTJ
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

How much money are you looking to spend? Are you pretty much set on a "cruiser" type of bike? If so, I'd definitely say go with the HD. Those aren't high miles anyway. If not, you might expand your "other than HD" search to include other genres of motorcycles. Personally, I'd rather have a Japanese or Euro sport tourer or touring bike than a metric cruiser. Something like a Kawi Cocours, BMW RT, that sort of thing. Used BMW's can usually be found at pretty decent prices and are excellent touring bikes.

Of the 2 HD's you mentioned, I'd go with the Electra Glide provided that they're in similar shape. It's rubbermounted and should be a significantly smoother ride for you and your wife.

Old 05-13-2009 | 10:20 PM
todd493
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default my .02

You'll lose major cash on a metric selling/trading. The older model evos are great. Almost bought one myself over the winter, get the best condition H-D ya can. Don't worry too much about the wrenching, their easy to take care of.

Old 05-13-2009 | 11:14 PM
pax maac
|
5th Gear

Hey, great responses so far, thanks.

I'm in a bit of a different market, I live in Mexico near Mexico City. There just isn't the volume of used bikes here that you have there. When I have the money saved, I may import a Road King from the US, but that does add a considerable expense, so its not viable for the immediate bike purchase.

But I am feeling less apprehensive about the 93's. I just wanted to hear some experiences from you guys that have them, and am happy to hear the enthusiastic responses (of course this being the HD forum, I expected as much).

Quick Reply: Newer used metric or "older" Harley? Seriously-