General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newer used metric or "older" Harley? Seriously-

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009 | 08:03 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on the sport tourer

If all you want it a bike for you and your lady to tour on, then there are many more options, and sport tourers are, IMO, much better for your stated purpose than a metric cruiser.

An Evolution-engined Harley (EVO) is still an excellent bike. What everyone said is true. Incredible engines, proven.

But, if you look at sport tourers, you'll find a reliable bike, only 1-3 yrs old, with low miles for the money you're talking about. Yamaha FJR1300, Honda ST1300, Kawi Councours 14, BMW R1200RT or K1200RT. Any of those bikes will have bells and whistles that Harleys don't, and they'll be comfortable for you and passenger, smooth, and have more power than a Harley, too. (And, you know, having detachable hard saddlebags would be nice--then they're like suitcases and not bins.)

Buying a Harley is about something else. If you want one, really want one, then you'll know that's what you have to have. They're awesome bikes and loads of fun. But you pay a bit for that. You can get into a lot more bike for a lot less money--but it won't be a Harley.

Old 05-14-2009 | 08:29 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Not sure what year that Valkyrie is but they seem to be holding their value pretty well may even be going up some. Honda screwed up when they re-decorated it and created the overpriced RUNE (I think you can still buy a brand new 2005 Rune).
You also didn't say what year or mileage on the Honda.
In good condition any of the bikes should work well for touring.

Get the bike that feels right to you.

Old 05-14-2009 | 08:43 AM
Vatorman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the real question is why do you want a Harley ? Any of the late model metrics will be as good as an early Harley. As people said before-what kind of riding are you planning ? I sure as hell wouldn't want a Goldwing to cruise around town as well as I wouldn't go cross country on a Hardtail.

Figure that out and then ride the bikes that meet your requirements.

Old 05-14-2009 | 09:19 AM
macksdaddy
Intermediate

Hmmmmmm....ok, I had to sleep on what to say next but here's the answer I came up with for ya and hope it helps.
Buy American and Buy local. With todays economy it makes more sense to me to buy american and not only that but buy local. Second, with the economy the way it is buying somethign that holds it's retail value better which over all is a Harley.
I've seen a DG Sport as low as $10k with only 4200 miles on it here at a friends shop where I live adn that bike is a 2002. The kicker is so many people are effected by hte bad economy that not as many bikes are being sold.

Old 05-14-2009 | 11:21 AM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy stated he is in Mexico City. It just seems that that would create more of a dilemma as far as deciding what type of bike to buy. How is the Harley service down there? Quality of service, etc. I have never been to Mexico City so I have no idea.

Old 05-14-2009 | 11:47 AM
OrangeTJ
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Does "buy American" make much difference when we're talking about used bikes? It certainly matters to me in the purchase of new items, but I have to wonder about used.

Resale value for bikes in general seems to be in the crapper and HD's aren't exempt. There was a time, not long ago, when you could sell your used HD for pretty much the same amount you bought it for. Unless talking about much older bikes, it seems those days are gone for now. I know that in 98, I personally traded in my 97 Sportster on a Buell and got $500 less than I paid for it brand new. If I were to try to trade in or sell my 05 Dyna, I wouldn't get more than 60% of what I paid for it in the first place. The best shield against depreciation is to buy used, which is what the OP is doing anyway.

Anyway, if a Harley is what you want, do NOT buy something else. You'll only wonder "what if?". If a "cruiser" is what you want, I still say don't buy anything other than the HD as HD makes the best of that type of bike IMO. If you just want to ride and tour with your wife and you are open to bikes in other categories, you might as well look at what the other makers have to offer in the touring/sport-touring categories.

Old 05-14-2009 | 12:58 PM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dickf5187
I want to comment about the Valkyrie. I owned one for about a year (2002 model). I liked everything except the low speed handling. The front fork is raked out and this causes the front end to "flop" in a slow speed turn. It can best be described as "oversteer". I'd look at something else.
FWIW, I think "low speed handling" is one of the really strong traits of Harley-Davidson (at least the models that I've ridden.) It's amazing how easy they are to ride!

@ original poster... A couple of years ago, I was in the same boat as you. I was looking at a newish V-Star 1100 or a 1993 H-D Heritage. I bought the Heritage and never regretted the decision. Unfortunately, a deer took out the bike (I survived, obviously), but my insurance company actually bought the wrecked bike for more than I paid for it! I doubt that would have been the case with the V-Star.

Old 05-14-2009 | 01:02 PM
Dickf5187
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vatorman
I guess the real question is why do you want a Harley ? Any of the late model metrics will be as good as an early Harley. As people said before-what kind of riding are you planning ? I sure as hell wouldn't want a Goldwing to cruise around town as well as I wouldn't go cross country on a Hardtail.

Figure that out and then ride the bikes that meet your requirements.
I don't know about a Goldwing being a problem around town. I had a 2002 that I rode for about four years both in town and trips. The bike never felt bulky or off balance... actually the CG feels lower to me than the Ultra Classic that replaced it. The bike does feel long but well balanced. My big bitch was where to put my feet after about 50 miles.

Hey... I never had to post about parking downhill in a parking slot! Reverse was a beautiful thing!

Old 05-14-2009 | 05:23 PM
pax maac
|
5th Gear

Wow,

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to chime in here.
To answer some of the questions posed...

Ever since I can remember, the word motorcycle was synonymous with Harley. A big, shiny, chrome covered cruiser like a Road King. I learned to ride so that I could ride a Harley. It was only after I learned how that I discovered how expensive they are.

I do all kinds of riding. Around town, grocery shopping, 3 hours on a Saturday morning, 3 weeks on the road. I used to do it on a Honda VTX1300 cruiser. I love going slow on big bikes. I love doing the Ride Like A Pro exercises and being able to outride motor cops down here.

My dilemma is that I need to ride, but I can't afford the bike I want. So what do I settle for? A metric cruiser (because they try to copy Harley styling) or an older Harley?

I live in Mexico, for those of you wondering. Importing a bike is not an option. It costs a lot to legalize it so that I can put plates on it.

Old 05-14-2009 | 06:12 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm sure if you asked this question on a Metric forum you would get some different answers!

don't know allot about Mexico City... but I would hope that you have part and service support for both Metric and HD... if not I would take that into consideration.. because you will need it for both

I would not hesitate buying an Evo HD .....

Quick Reply: Newer used metric or "older" Harley? Seriously-