Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over Pants

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:26 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heated gear for winter riding is just like sitting in front of a fireplace.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Leather Overpants? My wife would be shocked if she caught me wearing my leather underpants on the outside of my jeans.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:21 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowridin packer
What do you guys have against Chaps - they are very comfortable, lots of styles available, and they work. Not sure why the negative attitude - my wife and every other women I have talked to loves guys in them.... so what gives?
The point is wearing chaps defeats the whole purpose of wearing leather. Sliding a down the road at any speed on your wazoo just doesn't make sense. The same rationale for fingerless gloves, If you have ever gone down look at the fingertips.

I and my wife use Langlitz Goat skin. Under I wear jeans, my wife wears her yoga pants.

Also my wife had hers made with out pockets or belt loops.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:15 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

tourmaster pants here. You could wear them over your jeans but I just wear those if I am going a long ways. Has multiple liners and zippered air vents. Water proof too.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:45 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I have had a pair of First Gear overpants for a long time. They are great for cold weather, OK in hot weather over shorts or swim trunks also. I can't think of any downside in comparison to chaps except possibly at the disco.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:52 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually wear chaps simply because they are convenient and easy to throw on or off. Most important areas they protect are the knees and hips where the flesh is close to the bone. You can imagine what asphalt does to bone and cartilage. Road rash on the azz will hurt but skin grafts can cover the damage.

Leather pants seem like they would be too hot and restrictive.

I like my Olympia Airglide 2 pants/overpants but presently they are a bit too snug (working on it ) They are made of Cordura and ballistic nylon and have CE rated armor in the knee and hip area. Zip out liner. Very high quality and comfortable.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:01 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I got mine specifically for cold weather riding, and they are lined. Nice heavyweight leather with zippers and snaps all the way down the legs. Easy to get into and out.They're from Jafrum.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:17 PM
bookworm
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

No one's mentioned the HD FXRG leather overpants, so I will. They have a waterproof lining and armor in the important places. My wife and I wear them all year round when riding (ATGATT). Yes, they are warm in the summer, but we wear lightweight synthetics under our riding gear when it's hot. The pants have a zipper on each leg that you can open from the top to let some breeze through without giving up too much protection.

Also, we don't seem to get the fried thighs that people complain about when sitting in traffic. The leather does a good job of keeping much of that heat off of us.

Only suggestion would be to not be too vain when you buy them. A tight fit might look good on the little lady, but makes them really uncomfortable for riding any distance.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
LookMaNoHands
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBill_50
I have a pair of Chilhowee over pants that I use over my slacks to commute to and from work.

They are comfortable and keep my slacks from getting dirty from the road and bugs. How ever I'm not real impressed with the quality or the customer service of Chilhowee. First off it took Chilhowee over 2 weeks to ship the pants and only when I suggested they pay for overnight did they ship ground. I purchased these pant last fall and since then my buddy, who does leather aircraft interiors, has had to repair the seams twice.

I like the over pants better then chaps but I won't deal with Chilhowee again.
I've bought a couple pieces from him, soft lowers and a tank bra. Both pieces were excellent and have held up well. When I looked at the clothing on his site I got the feeling the experience would be more like yours. I suspect he makes the bike leather in-house and resells somebody elses clothing. Too bad 'cause the stuff I got was first rate.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by leicafish
The point is wearing chaps defeats the whole purpose of wearing leather. Sliding a down the road at any speed on your wazoo just doesn't make sense. The same rationale for fingerless gloves, If you have ever gone down look at the fingertips.

I and my wife use Langlitz Goat skin. Under I wear jeans, my wife wears her yoga pants.

Also my wife had hers made with out pockets or belt loops.
Chaps are more for warmth than protection - but I have been down and they worked just great.

Fingerless gloves just look dumb

Quick Reply: Over Pants