General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation instructions. Detailed? Simple? Both?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009 | 11:47 AM
VTwin-Goodies
|
Sponsor
Default Installation instructions. Detailed? Simple? Both?

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING SPECIFIC DIRECTLY FROM OUR ACTUAL INSTRUCTIONS AS WE HAVE A PATENTED PRODUCT AND WISH TO KEEP OUR DESIGN OURS!

I am reviewing our installation instructions in an effort to improve them. Anyone who has bought any sort of "custom" motorcycle parts knows that instructions can sometimes be lacking, over complicated, or non existent.

For those who have installed our bracket's, how do you feel our instructions were? Personally, I found them to be over complicated for such a simple install, but better to have more information than less any day.

Normally I will open a package, skim the instructions, and start to do what I think needs to be done to install the product. Our install is quite straight forward, however I was unable to determine which bolt went where for a few minutes. Brackets, extensions, and all the other terms for parts of our kit had my head swimming until I took off the boards and figured out how they went. Please realize that people have called me slow once or twice in the past.

How do you deal with installation of "custom" parts and what would help make it easier? Big print? Color Diagrams? Color coded bolts so you know what goes where? Actual sizes of bolts and nuts in the instructions so you are absolutely certain which goes where?

Thanks so much for your responses in advance and realize we will carefully review every suggestion and make every attempt possible to incorporate them into the instructions we already have.

The Harley Goodies Team

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING SPECIFIC DIRECTLY FROM OUR ACTUAL INSTRUCTIONS AS WE HAVE A PATENTED PRODUCT AND WISH TO KEEP OUR DESIGN OURS!

Old 05-12-2009 | 01:08 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

I have not looked at your instructions, but having built both bikes and computers I think we could learn a lot from the computer makers. The step by step diagrams are the hot ticket. I was told by a guy at Dell that the goal was to allow someone to assemble their computers without a single written word.

As to the parts, I really like when you buy a product and there is a sheet with the nuts and bolts, in real size that you can match up to your parts with a count next to the picture.

Just food for thought.
-Harry

Old 05-12-2009 | 09:00 PM
VTwin-Goodies
|
Sponsor

Thanks for the input harry. Anyone else?

Old 05-12-2009 | 09:55 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior

A link to your website on which there is a video tutorial on installation.

Old 05-12-2009 | 10:19 PM
dyna2319
Tourer

You may want to individually package the bolts with a piece of paper inside that says what they are for, such as "attaches bracket A to frame mount". That way you know what bolts and nuts go with each piece.

Old 05-12-2009 | 11:38 PM
VTwin-Goodies
|
Sponsor

More good ideas.

Old 05-18-2009 | 03:50 PM
VTwin-Goodies
|
Sponsor

Any one else have any suggestions on this?

Old 05-18-2009 | 04:36 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior

Label the parts too, not just the bolts and screws. Call parts what they are, like use the 3/16th bolt to mount the muffler bracket labeled "A" to the framerail "shown in a color picture or a detailed drawing with landmarks"

Old 05-18-2009 | 04:59 PM
wescoot2
Road Master

After the instructions have been written, verify that what was written can be followed. Have someone who was NOT involved in the production of the part or writing the instructions, try to instal the item. If questions arise during this installation......go back and clarify the confusing area. Do this PRIOR to shipping out product 1......and your customers will thank-you.

P.S. Get an average Joe Blow to do this assembly, now someone accustomed to working on scoots.

Respects,
Ed

Old 05-23-2009 | 05:21 PM
VTwin-Goodies
|
Sponsor

Any more suggestions here? I thought there would have been a lot more responses.

Quick Reply: Installation instructions. Detailed? Simple? Both?