General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weather conditions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 09:25 AM
jeff182
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weather conditions

Ok, wondered what everyone thinks of the guys that take off on their bikes as soon as the snow is cleared from the road. The temp is still in the 40's and they are all bundled up. Is this a true Harley rider or someone that just wants to be seen on his bike. I have a buddy that does this and claims to be a true rider. I consider myself a rider, but do not like to ride at this temp., dont care for riding much after dark due to the deer that run out in front of you. Also dont have to wear brand new Harley leather on every trip. I think that those people that wear Harley clothing on every trip are Harley buyers not riders. Any opinions.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:41 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: weather conditions

Jeff,

Nobody rides in near freezing or lower temps. to "be seen". We do it because we love to ride, period! And wearing the proper gear is a necessity, not posing. And proper gear should be worn no matter what the temprature. Harley makes some of the best gear in the industry. First Gear, Aerostich and others are also good choices.
You sound to me like a fair weather rider, the oprative word there is "rider". So does it matter when or what weather we ride in? I think not. I do realize though that with the right riding gear you can expand you riding season and be in relative comfort. So don't knock somone who has gear and is riding no matter who manufactured their gear.
I would also like to point out that proper gear should be worn in the hot weather also. T shirts just don't cut it when your deer jumps out in front of you, and yes Jeff, they do it in the middle of the day too.
So gear up and go for a ride.

DC.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:02 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

Belive it or not... Deer really do not go galloping around only at night. Typically they move the most at dusk and dawn.

I live in NC and I will ride when it is 45-50 degrees out... But I love being on my bike. Could care less what other people think about it.

And as for wearing Harley stuff? When I did not own a Harley I refused to wear the Harley Gear... Cannot stand the poser wanna-bes that wear a ton of Harley stuff and have never had their butt on one. Now that I own a Harley I do own a Harley T-Shirt or two. I am not posing... Just wearing my brand.

Not like we are talking about a protester in front of Phillip-Morris wearing a Marlboro T or anything. =)

Some people just like all the Harley goo... The only issue I have with getting Harley shirts is I HATE giving the dealership free advertising. If I am going to advertise for them the shirt can cost less than $40, know what i mean?

Old 05-10-2006, 10:25 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeff182

Ok, wondered what everyone thinks of the guys that take off on their bikes as soon as the snow is cleared from the road. The temp is still in the 40's and they are all bundled up. Is this a true Harley rider or someone that just wants to be seen on his bike. I have a buddy that does this and claims to be a true rider. I consider myself a rider, but do not like to ride at this temp., dont care for riding much after dark due to the deer that run out in front of you. Also dont have to wear brand new Harley leather on every trip. I think that those people that wear Harley clothing on every trip are Harley buyers not riders. Any opinions.

I ride whenever I can because I love to ride. I hope I never lose that feeling. Who cares about what a true Harley rider is. That attitude is worse than a cager with his contempt for bikers. I love riding in 40 degree or above weather and don't care what anybody thinks. If you don't like riding in 40 degree weather then don't, and who cares what other people wear anyway. If they're into fashion statements then let them do what turns them on. If they want to pose, let them. Let them be who they wan't to be. I don't think there is a rulebook written on this stuff.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Bigfoot
Tourer

To me it is the opposite. those that ride at 40 degrees are the probably the truest die hard riders who have invested in the correct gear to stop them from freezing to death and allows them to enjoy their passion anytime they wish. I consider myself a true rider and have been for many, many, years - but 40 is damn cold to me! 50, that is another story

Old 05-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

Guys! Some of you are starting to sound like a bunch of old gossiping women. Since when do people care what others wear? Or when they ride to make a statement? I ride whenever I choose because I love riding, not because I want to be seen. I've ridden when its below freezing, in rain, when its over 100, or at night at 10:30 with a 40 mph headwind (that one was not by choice!) The last thing I care about is who sees me. And lately I have Harley garb on because it has been the best I have found for me. And yes I like the tshirts too. And believe it our not I buy partly so that H-D makes more money and continues to be successful because I want them around to sell me more bikes and chrome because I'm addict! But thats me. Whatever you wear or ride is none of my concern. If you're a poser, be a good one!!!!

Old 05-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll ride in the 30's, have proper gear but it never occurs to me to call myself a biker or a rider, buyer or whatever the soup of the day is. I don't have any expensive Harley clothes but I have been lusting over a Fox Creek Leather jacket for months. I already own decent gear but I like to tinker with it and I have been riding on and off (mostly on) since 1974 - I am what I am and ride when I want or can. I like people that ride and it all works for me - Your mileage may vary but if ya want some advice don't sweat it - Just be you

Old 05-10-2006, 01:06 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I ride when it's cold, I ride when it rains, and I have even ridden in snow storms, but I don't like the snow. I have really good gear for just about any occasion, and I don't usually let weather dictate my riding.

I don't do it to be a biker or a purest, or to make a statement. Heck!, I'm just a RUB that likes to ride.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-10-2006, 01:14 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

personally I hate riding in the rain. Cold I can handle... rain is just plain icky.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:22 PM
AISTQM
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I start riding once the roads are clear of salt and ice. March this year. Did several 200 milers when it was 36 deg. Dressed properly and stops for coffee it was good. Now the temps are in the 70's it is much more enjoyable. By the way, I had a deer cross in front of me at a full run yesterday at 12:30 in the afternoon.

Quick Reply: weather conditions