General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weather conditions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: weather conditions

I've done 30's because i couldn't stand to wait anymore. Instead of wanting to be seen i kind of didn't. I figured those who saw me would think i was a fool freezing my az off. 40's are okay, Harley gear for me works, so i use it. 50+ is my prefered temp. Everytime i've done 30's i tell myself what a fool i was and then waiting for the next warm day give up and do it again.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:57 PM
05UltraClassic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Texas and ride year around. 20s, 30s, 40s...100s. Doesn't matter as long as I get to ride. (oh yeah, no rain though...)

Old 05-11-2006, 10:02 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: parts guy

35 degrees and up im riding if i waited till its nice in michigan i would have 3 days to ride. and none of my riding gear is harley
my wife thinks my bright orange hunting snow suit looks damn good rollin down the road when in the begining of march. maybe I should get a harley patch for the back so i dont look like such a poser!
nick 06 bob
and really have quite a bit of harley gear!!!!!!!!!! (but dont tell no one)
Mine was blue. I bought it at sears. I called it my zoot suit. Had a zipper that ran from one ankle all the way up to the neck. Big old fir collar. Man was it warm. I still got the thing but my body style won't let me get in it. Dang thing must have shrunk. Well maby too many CheezeBurgers.

Don't do the patch with the wings. Some rookie with a shotgun might think you are a turkey.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:23 PM
dastark
Road Master

My buds crack on me for riding in January, February. Snow melts I've got to get out. Like everyone out there I paid a boatload of money for my current bike, (Screamin Eagle Fatboy), but I mentally need to get out. Just ask my wife. I'll hmm & haw about salt dust, bitter cold and she'll push me out the door. It's truly therapy for me.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:10 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ladyglide

Hey man, we gotta do what we gotta do to maintain our sanity!!!
My last ride in the fall was on OCT. 22, the next ride I could even finagle was on Mar. 26th., after ice chipping in my driveway for a week. You try waiting that long to ride, and seeing you baby in the garage all winter, and tell me again that 40-45 deg. is not warm enough!!

JMHO

ps. we're dodging "moose"up here, and they're out all year!
I don't mind the moose as much as the dang caribou. I was mugged by a gang of them last week up at Denali. $2000 in damage to the Durango. They all got up and ran off. I was sitting there going. "What the h3ll just happened???"[sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=insomnia.gif][sm=wtf.gif]

Old 05-12-2006, 06:07 PM
alexcue
Road Master

i agree the the guy before about the gear. I swore to myself that i would never ever wear Harley gear until i owned a Harley.

Once i did, i buy t-shirts from most all of the H-D shops i visit. It's kinda like a trek of mine. And hell if they make a good jacket that happens to have the H-D on it i buy it. Personally i wear a FirstGear Leather jacket during the cooler months, because it's so damn good. But I just bought the H-D mesh/convertible jacket because it really nice, when the weather changes. Once it gets to above 90 i switch to a full mesh Non-H-D jacket. I know i'm goin on a tangent, but I ride what i want and damned what other people think.

Along those lines tho, I will not wear my H-D gear when i'm on my Ninja tho. Lest I be comdemned to Poserville!

Old 05-12-2006, 06:55 PM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member

Try living in northern canada. We ride in all kinds of weather, dont have to like the weather to like the ride. Sometimes have to ride wearing a ski-doo suit, dont give a sshhiitt what people think. Later, Claire

Old 05-12-2006, 10:32 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as your warm and dry, who cares how you're dressed and what you look like. It's getting out and enjoying the ride that matters.
As far as wearing HD stuff, I myself have a bunch of T-shirts (thanks to a father-in-law who traveled all over the world and owns a Harley also) and a few sweatshirts.
Leather jacket and chaps (Very much needed here in Michigan if you plan on riding for more than 3 months) were from the local indy. and were a lot cheaper than HD and they fit better.

I'm glad we don't have to worry about moose and caribou around here, deer are bad enough.