General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weather conditions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:22 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: weather conditions

Ditto Rain suck I did it twice and didnt like it once.
ORIGINAL: went_postal

personally I hate riding in the rain. Cold I can handle... rain is just plain icky.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually prefer to ride 30*-60*

I am a big guy, and always hot. I enjoy the cool ride.

I ride in the rain, never been in snow (we don't get snow here). I've ridden in the 20's no problem. So far its in the 40's when I leave for work, but in the 80's on the way home. I much prefer the mornings. I ride at night, day, day and night, heavy traffic, back roads, etc... I am not a hardcore biker. Just a guy with a bike that loves to ride. I manage to get in about 1k miles a month even though I work long hours and usually 7 days (although not full days most weekends). Oya, and I ride a filthy bike. Am I a poser? Maybe! I've only had my bike for 5 months. Does that make me a poser or a RUB? Don't matter to me, I'm riding while everyone else is complaining about the weather or the short days.

I wear Harley jackets because they cater to the bigger guys. The fit is great, the quality is there. The price is a bit high, but whats another few bucks after everything else is said and done.

I do agree with the complaint about paying $40 to advertise for a dealer. I shop the clearance bins for t-shirts, they seem to run about $12-$15.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BIKER... hmmmmmmmmmmm

that's a term that can be painted with a v e r y wide brush.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:57 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

DILLIGAF? I ride when it's over 49 degrees.......and mostly that's in Winter time here. But no long distance stuff and if you don't wear leather.....you'll freeze your cahoonies off. But it breaks the cabin fever to get out on the bike in January.....besides......I don't know how to get my battery cover off.

Oh yeah....I live in the Cuyahoga National Forest and see Bambi everyday.....and all I can say is there is plenty of room here for the animals.......right next to the mashed potatoes

Old 05-10-2006, 03:15 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

Is this one of those questions where the response is . . . If you have to ask, . . .

Old 05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
jv225
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dc1450

Jeff,

Nobody rides in near freezing or lower temps. to "be seen". We do it because we love to ride, period! And wearing the proper gear is a necessity, not posing. And proper gear should be worn no matter what the temprature. Harley makes some of the best gear in the industry. First Gear, Aerostich and others are also good choices.
You sound to me like a fair weather rider, the oprative word there is "rider". So does it matter when or what weather we ride in? I think not. I do realize though that with the right riding gear you can expand you riding season and be in relative comfort. So don't knock somone who has gear and is riding no matter who manufactured their gear.
I would also like to point out that proper gear should be worn in the hot weather also. T shirts just don't cut it when your deer jumps out in front of you, and yes Jeff, they do it in the middle of the day too.
So gear up and go for a ride.

DC.
well said
I ride when it's in the 30's and even into the 20's sometimes as long as the roads are clear. And the only people I want to be seen by are the people driving the cars and trucks around me so they don't run me over. Oh yeah I have some Harley gear too

Old 05-10-2006, 03:54 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The only word of caution I have for the group that rides in the 30's and 40's is be careful of that little water run-off up there ahead. It might be ice!

Old 05-10-2006, 04:08 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter what you wear when you ride. You should see me when I'm dressed for the cold. I look like such a dork, in a big black and orange marshmallow kind of way .... but I ride because I love to ride. The more comfortable my gear can make me, the longer my season is. Even use a heater jacket... OMG I wouldn't even THINK of parting with that piece of gear ...never, never, never! I live in a climate where our ultimate riding season is VERY short. I am so busy with work and home stuff that I don't get out as near enough as I'd like to either, so, we have to do what we have to do if we want to get some miles in...just get out and ride whether the weather is "fer us or agin us"! I have to say I prefer nicer temps, but can't always depend on mother nature to provide the ultimate riding conditions, all the time.

I don't consider myself to be a harda$$ rider either... I am just a girl!

Old 05-10-2006, 09:04 PM
thumper05
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ride when the roads are dry..dont matter what the temp is..

Hey its mine and i will play with it as much as i want to when ever i want to

Old 05-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Bear64
Banned

Why do you ask Grasshopper?? what is this crap if I buy a Harley Jacket I'm a buyer and not a rider?? want to compare miles?? I ride when I want, wear what I want and don't give a dogs do-do what you think..are you bored that you come on line with that kind of stuff? You really walk up to somebody wearing a Harley Jacket and accuse them of being a buyer and not a rider??? Go to some Rallys with that attitude!! You may learn something.

Quick Reply: weather conditions