General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woman gets 10 years for killing Harley rider while driving drunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
This is not something I would normally post to, but my reaction was that almost always, the driver who hits a motorcyclist gets off. I believe the only way to focus drivers to see motorcyclists is to make hitting and killing someone because you are texting, putting on your lipstick, shaving, failed to wash your windows or replace your windshield wipers, drinking alcohol or doing any drug including pot, guilty with serious consequences.

Far too often on this forum we see posts about someone being hit, forced off the road, and never see any serious consequences for the driver who "couldn't see because the sun was in their eyes". Well, they should have slowed down, cleaned their own window, wore polarized sunglasses or some how taken care of the fact that they were not safe. It is not an excuse to say, I did not see him in that lane, or I was in a hurray so I pulled right in front of him, or I just got a text from my girlfriend telling me she was leaving me. Pull over, take care of that situation, have somebody else drive, but if you do drive, I'd like to know that there are real consequences.

Killing someone, maiming someone, just running someone off the road and just because they did not die are all similarly serious crimes in my eyes. This is assuming that the motorcyclist is driving legally.

It is not about being sorry, it is about being responsible and alert when driving.

I feel very sorry for her, but she had other choices.

This is not a motorcycle issue. You see the same distracted, aggressive, and intoxicated driving, cage to cage everyday.
Amen.

RIP Michael.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because of riding, we are exposed to this kind of tragedy more than most drivers. I am relieved to have quit drinking years ago, so I don't have to live with the guilt of killing or maiming someone because of my own stupidity. May his family and friends find some comfort in the man he was.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Riders death equals a 10 years sentence of which she will probably only do 3, seems kinda out of balance to me. But heck we are governed by a judicial system that will arrest you for having expired tags on your vehicle, but not for being in this country illegally.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

This is not something I would normally post to, but my reaction was that almost always, the driver who hits a motorcyclist gets off. I believe the only way to focus drivers to see motorcyclists is to make hitting and killing someone because you are texting, putting on your lipstick, shaving, failed to wash your windows or replace your windshield wipers, drinking alcohol or doing any drug including pot, guilty with serious consequences.

Far too often on this forum we see posts about someone being hit, forced off the road, and never see any serious consequences for the driver who "couldn't see because the sun was in their eyes". Well, they should have slowed down, cleaned their own window, wore polarized sunglasses or some how taken care of the fact that they were not safe. It is not an excuse to say, I did not see him in that lane, or I was in a hurray so I pulled right in front of him, or I just got a text from my girlfriend telling me she was leaving me. Pull over, take care of that situation, have somebody else drive, but if you do drive, I'd like to know that there are real consequences.

Killing someone, maiming someone, just running someone off the road and just because they did not die are all similarly serious crimes in my eyes. This is assuming that the motorcyclist is driving legally.

It is not about being sorry, it is about being responsible and alert when driving.

This is not a motorcycle issue. You see the same distracted, aggressive, and intoxicated driving, cage to cage everyday.
I am with you, my friend.!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

seems like a fair sentence to me. no, she probably will not do the full ten years. the courts should also take her life savings, house, and all earthly goods and give those to the victim's family.
my question is...what about the bar she had been going to 5 days a week for years...did they share in the blame and have to make restitution to the victim's family?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 AM
huntnaz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sad reminder that no matter how alert or defensive you ride...it can come out of nowhere and get you!
Will say a prayer for everyone involved.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

I'm glad that woman, who is old enough to know better, got what could be a life sentence. I have to believe that before sentencing this woman, the judge in this case thought of the drugged-out punk who ran into that group of Michigan bikers in northern Wisconsin last year. Wisconsin is a popular destination for Michigan bikers, and I think the people of Wisconsin would like to keep it that way.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

2-3 beers,,, bull chit, unless there were of the big and tall variety. like these.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well said, an excellent post. I totally agree....

Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

RIP Michael.

Quick Reply: Woman gets 10 years for killing Harley rider while driving drunk