General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else ride with their 2 forefingers on the brake lever?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:09 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone else ride with their 2 forefingers on the brake lever?

I used to brake with 2 fingers but I didn't leave them on the lever. During my annual MSF experienced rider course the instructor would yell at me to use all four fingers while braking. Now the MSF says riding with your 2 fingers on the lever and braking with them is acceptable. I now ride with them on the lever and control the throttle with my thumb and palm. Pretty easy once you get used to it. Makes braking much quicker. Saves about 20-30 feet stopping distance depending on how fast you're going when you don't have to reach for the brake lever.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Occaisionally on the street I ride with a finger covering the brake lever, depending on traffic conditions.
When riding on the track on my sport bike, I cover the clutch and front brake almost constantly.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:22 PM
techno
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I'm in traffic or on a road with a lot of cross streets I keep my two fingers on the brake lever.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
flyingdutchman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I don't ride with two fingers on the lever. Yes, I ride with all four on the lever, ever since my MSF class. One of the first things that we did was practice holding the front brake while we let the clutch out and applied throttle, to get used to the clutch. I'm sure you can stop in 80% or less distance than if you have to grab the lever if your fingers are on the grip. You need that when riding in traffic or going through intersections. It's the only way to stop on an uphill corner, you can keep both feet on the ground, and just roll on the throttle while you let the clutch out and release the brake.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Only when covering the brake. Two forefingers on lever with others being used to work the throttle. I find it works good for me.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:54 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I brake with four fingers so no good purpose is served by having two fingers up there while riding. This is for me, of course. Your results may vary.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:55 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Goin through town or other high traffic areas I cover the brake with two fingers. BTW, I got in the habit from riding snowmobiles. I always have my brake covered on that thing LOL

Old 05-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Uhhh, do you have ANY idea, jus' how TOOPID I look, riding 'round, with 2 fingers on my brake??? And that means, I have to run the troddle with the LEFT hand. NOT ONLY TOOPID looking, but it is REALLY hard on the back, reaching down like that, all the time. So I just usually rest my foot on it. BUT, to each their own, that's what Forrest would say.

The really nice part 'bout it, my set up REMOVES the entire arguement about front/rear %'s, from the conversation. YOU JUS' can't argue with 'toopidity'.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

if im filterin through traffic i do as the buggers lane swop without lookin!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:09 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First let me say that I am very disapointed with the front brakes on the Fat Bob. They are nothing compared to the V-Rod brakes, not even close.

On the v-Rod I could and would cover the front brake with 2 fingers and have absolutly no trouble stopping, all it took was a tiny pull, my 90 year old grandmother could do it.

But on my Fat Bob, totally the opposite. I have to yank back on the lever like I'm trying to stop a truck or something. There's just not the stopping power like the v-rods have.

Many Fat Bob owners have mentioned the brake issue and some say it will get better over time. But so far with 2500 miles on it, they still suck. Dealer has looked at them and said they are fine and working normal. My buddies Fat Bob is the same as mine in regards to brakes.

I hope I can get different pad when these wear out that will stop much better.

Quick Reply: Anyone else ride with their 2 forefingers on the brake lever?