General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else ride with their 2 forefingers on the brake lever?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:41 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake
It is true on the 09's or at least some of them. Lots of brake comments especially about the Fat Bobs.

My front brakes is weak, have to pull back the lever almost all the way, and it does pinch my fingers. Dealer has checked them 3 times, they are supposedly fine.

My buddies Fat Bob brakes are exactly the same, not good! No way I can ride and expect to stop leaving fingers between lever and handle.
Oh, now I see. I thought you were talking about a REAL Harley. The lever is about 4 inches out at the end of your grip on a touring model no way you'll pinch your little fingers unless you have a brake problem like air in the lines.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never read this thread although it's been here a while but yesterday I read it and when I was riding I tried 2 vs. 4 fingers ont eh brake and it doesn't make a difference. Maybe some have weak fingers or something but really folks, not a big deal...heck I must be the worst rider int he world as I ride no hands, 1 handed, novelty helmut, brake with 1 or 2 fingers, burn outs, no leathers...maybe I need to just drive my truck...

Old 05-15-2009, 12:06 PM
gjb1952
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJIM
No, never. Well, actually tried it a time or two, but it felt awkward and wrong to me. I am a little suprised to see that I am in the minority based upon the responses so far. No way that it reduces braking as much as 20% or 20 - 30 feet. It only takes a split second to grab a handful of brake from the throttle. Where is this coming from? Does someone have a link to some test results?
I think it's just another unneccesary thing to do....There is no point and there are no statistics to show that this actually will save a life. I say...Be prepared.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:14 PM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just went to measure the room left on mine with the brake pulled as hard as I could 1 inch is still open for my fingers that are maybe 3/4 inch thick so no problem using 1 or 2 fingers for me ..

Old 05-15-2009, 04:04 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
Oh, now I see. I thought you were talking about a REAL Harley. The lever is about 4 inches out at the end of your grip on a touring model no way you'll pinch your little fingers unless you have a brake problem like air in the lines.
Maybe you should learn to read more about the topic before you make some stupid a$$ comment. It's an issue with a lot of the newer bikes and it's not because of air in the lines. I bet you know more about it than Harley does.

And what, you throw a couple of bags on the side of a bike and all of sudden it's a "real" Harley? That is the funniest thing I've ever heard. Actually it's the most stupid thing I've read on this forum.