General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

had a parking ticket on your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:06 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: had a parking ticket on your bike?

ORIGINAL: HDWG

I did not have the apes on yet.....about 10 bikes got the same ticket, they probable have all new roads there now[:@]
ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

ORIGINAL: HDWG

Down in Daytona, parked nest to a bunch of bikes, went into the convention center and came out with a $30 parking ticket[:@] There were no,"No parking" signs and it was friggin bike week........bikes everyplace??[:@]
They probably didn't like the ape hangers on your bike
They were just collecting more Harley Tax.........I'll bet they make quite a few $$$

Old 05-10-2006, 02:08 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: eazy

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

I always use that 1/2 space when there is one......never been ticketed.....but a parking ticket is cheaper than a ding on the bike.
Every time, and I don't think twice about doing it.
Why should you? I figure if I am in a parking garage and pay for a space and then use the 1/2 space...they get to sell my space twice. More Harley Tax.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:14 AM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reference to outside parking at a grocery or department store. If it's not in the halfy, it's all the way to the end so I only have to worry about one side.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:16 AM
jackhammer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always park by the doors or at the bicycle stands or up against the wall on the sidewalks next to the buildings be it Home depot, costco, Wallmart or what ever. Never a ticket but I'm sure my day in court will come. I never park with the cars because one day after a new paint job (3 hours to be exact) a nice old twit of a lady slammed the door into the tank, chipped the paint but fixable. Saw it happen and just shook my head, why me.[:@]

Old 05-10-2006, 02:27 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Here in St George, I do volunteer work for the police department. We patrol the parking lots for handicap violators and can write a citation. Otherwise, we just warn problem parking.

Since most of us park in private parking lots, in our town at least, the parking lot owner has the right to establish parking rules. Likely, they won't pursue those who bend the rules. However, handicap parking supercedes the property owner and so comes under the law. In Utah, and I'm sure anywhere else, a handicap parking space consists of the painted universal handicap wheelchair symbol, a vertical sign at the far end of the space, either on a post or a wall, and blue markings to mark out the boundaries. Here is the rub; those who park in the blue hash marked areas are in violation because it is part of the space alloted for handicap parking. Especially if it is marked "Van Accessible". That area is set aside so that handicap persons have the room to get out of their vehicles with whatever assistance they need. So don't park there.

On street parking can vary widely between municpalities, especially if the city gets revenue from parking meters and the like. Thankfully our town thinks that free parking is essential to the businesses adjacent to the on street parking and doesn't have parking meters or parking patrol (except for the warning system we volunteers implement.).

I know, more than you wanted to hear.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:55 AM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

As far as I know at least in most places police cannot ticket you on private property for parking unless your in a handicap spot . The convention center was most likely public parking not private property . Oh , yeah in CA anyway when parked on the street you had better have one tire against the curb , that will get you a parking tic real quick .

Dan

Old 05-10-2006, 05:05 AM
hdtwice
Road Master

ORIGINAL: DanDeuce

Oh , yeah in CA anyway when parked on the street you had better have one tire against the curb , that will get you a parking tic real quick .

Dan
Dan, thanks for theads up on that. I have never heard that.

The stipped lines next to handicap spots here in CA are not for parking or you will get fined big time. Those spots are supposed to be open for wheel chair ramps and such.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The stripes might look like they're "next" to a handicap parking space but in real life they are part of the handicap parking space. This extra space is there to allow wheel chair exiting and entering. If your tires are on any part of the painted lines you can be ticketed.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

I got a couple of tickets in New Orleans a few years ago. [:@] It's one of the toughest city to find parking. There was small public parking lots that cost $5 - $10 a day, but thet wouldn't let bikes park. Even with the $75 in tickets it was a fun place.

Sanford

Old 05-10-2006, 08:56 AM
RoadRunner1
Cruiser

New Hope Pennsylvania is the bike parking ticket capital of the US. The meter reader will stand at your bike and wait for the meter to run out.

Quick Reply: had a parking ticket on your bike?