General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reving when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:56 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Old habits die hard, I guess. I learned to drive double clutching in the 1950s in 1930s and 40s vehicles. Not so much anymore.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 PM
ictinike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine braking is a bad habit a lot of people get in. Engine is for go, brakes are for slow.

If you're engine braking, getting the motor up to speed before you let the clutch out helps keep from upsetting the bike too much.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:27 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ictinike
Engine braking is a bad habit a lot of people get in. Engine is for go, brakes are for slow.

If you're engine braking, getting the motor up to speed before you let the clutch out helps keep from upsetting the bike too much.

I always downshift and engine brake. I don't agree that it is a bad habit. I do have other bad habits though.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Most riders do it because they think it make them look or sound "cool". They don't have any idea if it's good, bad or makes no difference to the bike (trans, engine, clutch, etc). They just want someone to notice them.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:01 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have always done it that way

Old 05-11-2009, 05:11 PM
capnhook
Ultimate HDF Member

Could not disagree more. Try riding in the mountains without engine braking, see how that works out.

Your clutch, Brake shoes-drums, and/or pads-disc. Are wear parts as in the more you use them the sooner they wear out. Slipping your clutch down shifting has the same effect as slipping it during take off.

By using your engine for braking and properly matching RPM's while down shifting, will increase the life of those parts.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RED E GLIDE
Perhaps capt'n americas transmission is a fully syncronized aftermarket transmission, but my 05 is not syncronized. It is shifted by dogs that engauge into each gear with squared teeth (hence the clunk into gear). No syncros that I know about. I have rebuilt alot of syncronized transmissions in cars. I can't remember if the six speeds are syncronized or not.

Uhhhh, Me thinx THAT is why they are called "constant mesh" transmissions. Gears DON'T move. But Thanx for reminding me.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:30 PM
ictinike
Advanced

Originally Posted by capnhook
Could not disagree more. Try riding in the mountains without engine braking, see how that works out.

Your clutch, Brake shoes-drums, and/or pads-disc. Are wear parts as in the more you use them the sooner they wear out. Slipping your clutch down shifting has the same effect as slipping it during take off.

By using your engine for braking and properly matching RPM's while down shifting, will increase the life of those parts.
Let me get this strait. You want me to put more wear and strain on my clutch/engine to make my brake pads last longer? My engine is a better brake than... my brakes?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 PM
SGMAN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I always downshift and engine brake. I don't agree that it is a bad habit. I do have other bad habits though.
+1
I know that this thread is about "rev matching' but I do know that when you down shift and use the engine for a brake, you are always ready to crank up the throttle and pull away also you know your in the right gear to pull away. I know these are not big trucks but they always taught you to downshift. 1. Saves on brakes. 2. You are in the right gear. 3. Think it is a big no-no to "coast" down the road.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
capnhook
Ultimate HDF Member

Let me get this strait. You want me to put more wear and strain on my clutch/engine to make my brake pads last longer? My engine is a better brake than... my brakes?

There is no extra wear on your engine, unless you shut it off when you are braking. LOL And if you match rpm's while down shifting there is no significant extra wear on the clutch.

It is your bike ride it how you want. But trust me if you ever ride in the mountains consider using you engine to keep your speed down. If you glaze your pads you won't be impressed with yourself.

Quick Reply: reving when shifting