General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

miles on brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:01 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default miles on brakes

How many miles on your brake pads? And are they fairly simple to replace?

Old 05-09-2006, 11:05 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: miles on brakes

I have 25,000 on mine and have changed the backs once. I tend to use the back most of the time unless I really need to haul it down. Also, I ride solo a lot and I am not that heavy.

I think it is probably time to do all three.

Oops forgot, they are not all that tough to change, but make sure the caliper is operating well before putting it back together.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:33 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked in DIY but found nothing on how to change the brake pads

Old 05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
navyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend buying the maintenance manual for your bike. I just did my brake pads (front only) and it was not very difficult. If you buy HD replacement pads, the instructions are in the package with the pads.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:03 AM
gary99z28
Intermediate

I am on my third set of rear brake pads and still on the origionals in the front. The rears are easy to change. I never did the fronts yet so I don't know about them. You will need a 1/4 inch 12 point socket. Buy a repair manual so you have illustrations with the directions. The swap should take less than 20 minutes.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

I only have 9k on mine so far but it is pretty easy to change the pads - Make sure you don't touch the brake pedals as you are doing it and that you have the right size C clamp to push the pistons open all the way - Service manual is key - Good luck!

Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 AM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear brakes get replaced with the rear tire at about 6000. Fronts last longer. The instructions for changing the pads, with illustrations, come in the box with Harley pads. Don't need the manual for this one... you will need a 1/4 inch 12 point socket to remove the two bolts that hold the pads in. I've never needed a c clamp. The fronts don't need to be unbolted from the fork to change the front pads. The rear pads can also be changed without taking the caliper off of its mounting.

Pry the pads open (carefully, I use a screwdriver) before you take the old pads out so the new ones will go in easy. Remove the only two bolts that the 1/4 12 will fit. The bolts will pull out hard once you have turned them enough to clear the threads. The pads are directional and should only be installed one way. Watch how they come out and put them in the same way. If you fail to pay attention when you take them out, the directions, and illustrations will tell you how to put them back in. A little (very little) lithium grease on the back of the pads, prior to installation will prevent squeaking/squealing.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:09 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

Wonder why they wear out so fast? My firends (Heritage and Road King) go thru a set of rears every 6-9000 miles. My dyna did the same yet I put 35,000 on a 02 Goldwing and they were still the original pads and still with factory specs.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:41 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You guys need to work on your braking technique. It sounds like you're using too much rear and not enough front brake.
You should use your front brake EVERYTIME you stop. And use it like it's your only brake, the rear is only along for the ride.
If you use a SMOOTH PROGRESSIVE squeeeeeze on the front brake until you are stopped and less rear, the brakes will last longer and you will be a better rider.
Remember that as you sqeeze the front, weight shifts from the rear wheel to the front. You can feel it, you see the front suspention dive. As you squeeze and the weight shifts the front tire gets more traction and allows you to keep squeezing, getting more traction etc.etc.
As far as the rear goes, remember that weight that's giving the front tire traction to brake? Yea, it's coming from the rear which reduces the amount of braking/traction you have back there.
If you guys practice this braking procedure you skills, and braking is an important one, will grow and you won't be replacing brakes as often.
Another point, someone mentioned 32,000 miles on a Goldwings brakes, yea, they are linked, you have to use them both!

DC, 05 Road Glide 19,000 miles on the original brakes!

Old 05-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

5k and mine still look brand new. Lots of traffic riding, so its not that I don't use them.

Quick Reply: miles on brakes