General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 new tires installed, $180.00, WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:05 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i bought a tire mounting machine from no mar tire changer....a lil pricey...but i can do it myself....got a set of michelin commanders from motorcycle superstore for $238 ...i have put on two other tires for riding buddies...save them some $...they can help me down the road....

Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 AM
todd493
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Diy

+1 On the DIY method.
Harbor freight has a decent changer. There's a place on the net that makes no-mar style tools to work with the HF tire changer.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Wpittman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my hd dealer charges 75 bucks per tire....WTF this is ridiculous!!!!!! I change tires 2 to 3 times a year.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a HD visa and put all my purchases on it and pay it off every month. I get $25 in harley cash for every $2500 in charges. Buy my tires on line and take them to the dealer to mount and pay with my harley cash. Makes for a nice discount.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do tire at less three times a year. I ready for the second tire for this year. I use tools from Harbor freight to do my tire job. Save so much money per year on labor.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:56 AM
spike95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabbit_
I've been pricing out tires and the mounting cost for the last 2 weeks and it's one of the metric dealers here that has the best prices.
I can get the Avons Front and Rear for $440 plus $39 bucks each wheel to mount, balance, and fill with nitrogen or the stock Dunlops for $80 bucks less.
The Indy shops admitted right away that they didn't have the best prices on tires but if you brought the wheel and tires in they would mount and balance them for $45 plus the cost of the weights.
The HD dealer on the South side wouldn't touch them but quoted $625 minimum + for any extra labour for replacement of the stock Dunlops as they don't have a flat rate, you pay the actual labour, That and the guy I was talking to on the phone flat out refused to mount anything but the stock replacement Dunlops.
My dealer does sell the Avons but they want $210 for the front and $414 for the rear. Again. if you bring in the bike you will pay the actual labour, no flat rate. Bring in just the wheels and they charge the same as the Indy shop.
So it defintely pays to shop around.
I don't know I may just take a crack at mounting them myself, I just need to find out how to index them.
Go with the Indy!. You can buy the tires yourself online. My set of Metzelers was around $220 if memory serves me correct. Look on ebay. That plus $45 a piece for labor is about half what the dealer wanted to charge you and you'll have better quality tires than the stock crap.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by wilburz
brought my 2 new metzlers into Iron Eagle in w.p.b.. said it took them 1.8 hours to put on and they also gave me a new front tire inner tube and rim band. i also got hooked with a 10 dollar shop fee. I guess that is to pay for their breaks. thought it might cost me around 100.00. only reason i brought it in was cuz my back axle was stuck and i did not want to bugger it up. hell, i could have beat it out with a ball pean hammer and bought 4 new axles and nuts for that price.
Maybe next tire change you should call Mad Jack..
(sorry for the oblique comment guys, but the OP will understand)

FYI: The Iron Eagle shop that the OP refers to IS AN INDY, not a dealer.

Last edited by cHarley; 05-11-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your are not going to do the work your self .it is not a bad price.do you really think you shoould be the only one to make money the dealer is in buissness to make money.
you don't think about electric bill allthe differnt insurence bills water bill ect.

eather learn to do it your self or just suck it up!!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tlb
I wish I could find a shop that does it for $10. here, it is by the hour charge, a little over half an hour, hourly rate $65. I cannot blame them, it cost them money to have the shop open.
IMHO mount and balance shoudl go with tire purchase or be cheap if I get the tires there...Road Rider where I go is an hour away so I pay fuel to get there but they charge $10 per if you buy them there and I think $20 per if you don't...think about it, it takes about 10 minutes per tire to change them...car tire shops don't charge by the hour to do them...should be flat rate per tire...****, Maybe I will open a place which does just tires for bikes...

Old 05-11-2009, 09:48 AM
kickstart pan
Road Master
Cool

IMHO mount and balance shoudl go with tire purchase or be cheap

Maybe I will open a place which does just tires for bikes...
I got no problem with FREE enterprise
Butt when you open your shop will you have to pay rent- electric- licensing and insurance and eat too ?

Like I said I pay more at my dealer for tires than I can pay online, butt he only charges a buck to change them.
He has to make some money.
I usually end up under $300 for a both new front and rear on my dresser.
That's a far cry from $600!!!!!!!!
NO way would I ever pay that, not even on the road,
I rode cross coutry last year with a guy that left home with a tire that he knew wouldn't make the trip. He had to stop in an Idaho HD shop and paid $350 for a front FXR tire.
I told him why not change before he left home ?
He said he wanted to get all the wear on the tire before changing!!!!
Wow that was an exspensive last 1000 miles I said

$600 will buy a tire machine, bike lift AND 2 tires.
You need to know how to do it anyway

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34542
$49
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...otorcycle+lift
$99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98488
$59
http://www.ronayers.com/

And there are many more choices

Last edited by kickstart pan; 05-11-2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: add link

Quick Reply: 2 new tires installed, $180.00, WTF?