General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 new tires installed, $180.00, WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 AM
niterider985
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy my tires from my tire guy that gives me a great price and beats everybodys price around here. He only charges 35.00 to mount and balance each tire. When I need them I will give him a few bucks and tell him I got lunch.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:14 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Don't forget. The dealer fills them up with Harley air. That's worth $100 by itself.
Originally Posted by ictinike
LMAO That's a good one right there...

Now I know why it smells so good when I walk into the dealer! They must use that stuff in the showroom too.
No, thats the smell of the nitrous oxide they pump into the showroom to make you feel soooo good about the screwing you just got

Old 05-11-2009, 12:17 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Never get tires installed at the stealer if price is an issue. Indy's are always cheaper, but you probably could have beat the axle out, bought a new set of bearings and installed them for the price of that install. Find a friend that has a tire machine works best...

Old 05-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Rabbit_
Road Captain

I've been pricing out tires and the mounting cost for the last 2 weeks and it's one of the metric dealers here that has the best prices.
I can get the Avons Front and Rear for $440 plus $39 bucks each wheel to mount, balance, and fill with nitrogen or the stock Dunlops for $80 bucks less.
The Indy shops admitted right away that they didn't have the best prices on tires but if you brought the wheel and tires in they would mount and balance them for $45 plus the cost of the weights.
The HD dealer on the South side wouldn't touch them but quoted $625 minimum + for any extra labour for replacement of the stock Dunlops as they don't have a flat rate, you pay the actual labour, That and the guy I was talking to on the phone flat out refused to mount anything but the stock replacement Dunlops.
My dealer does sell the Avons but they want $210 for the front and $414 for the rear. Again. if you bring in the bike you will pay the actual labour, no flat rate. Bring in just the wheels and they charge the same as the Indy shop.
So it defintely pays to shop around.
I don't know I may just take a crack at mounting them myself, I just need to find out how to index them.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:09 AM
niterider985
Tourer

Well for me at 35.00 to take off bike mount and balance and put back on bike I say to my guy go for it.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:12 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Indy just quoted me 2 Dunlop Elite 3's Mounted and Balanced $300.00 Drop the Bike off.. Pick it back up 2 hours later .. Will gladly pay that to support the Local Indy of this small town that knows Harleys backwards and forwards.. This is Tires, Labor and All..

Old 05-11-2009, 05:40 AM
kickstart pan
Road Master

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Indy just quoted me 2 Dunlop Elite 3's Mounted and Balanced $300.00 Drop the Bike off.. Pick it back up 2 hours later .. Will gladly pay that to support the Local Indy of this small town that knows Harleys backwards and forwards.. This is Tires, Labor and All..
Lakeland HD in Florida charges $1 per tire mounted balanced etc ON the bike.
I ride my dresser in , go next door for lunch come back and ride away.
I used to take my wheels in and they axed Why? just ride in and we'll do it all - same price $1.
I can and have changed my own and still do on other bikes with used tires or sizes the dealer doesn't have.
Of course you buy the tires from the dealer, don't bring your own - they ussually charge a bout $20 more than I can buy them for online butt WTF ? who cares that's still less than $50 for both mounted and balanced.

I wouldn't pay much more than that under normal circumstances - time and location mostly.

I have the tools etc at home and plenty of retired time, so unless I am on the road or have an emergency I do all my own -other- work.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $150 last year and it took about 4 hrs. for them to do it. This was on stock 2007 EGC. They had hell of a time getting the old tires off rims and new ones on? I even helped them by holding stuff. They were amazed that I had 13K miles on the tires and never had been removed. I bet if they had known it was going to cause that much trouble they'd have tried to charge me more.

So $180 is okay. Checked around and it was usually $50 for front & $100 for rear.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:44 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i did not ask for a quote first. called before and they would mount and balance for 30.00 a tire if you brought just the wheels in. lesson learned. just seemed a little high to me. but come on, 10 buck shop fee, 22.00 dollar inner tube? i am calling shenanigans on those items. won't be a next time.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Best prices and service on tires that I have found is from www.twobrotherstires.com in Lawrenceville, Ga. I don't know if Tim has his website set up so that you can order online yet, but all you have to do is give him a call and he gets the tires shipped PRONTO. I saved $170 on a set of tires from Tim over my dealer. I take my wheels off and take them along with my tires to the same dealer and they charge me $32 a tire for mounting and balance.

Quick Reply: 2 new tires installed, $180.00, WTF?