General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin' Eagle, Mackie, etc. heads question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Screamin' Eagle, Mackie, etc. heads question

I've gone the Big Bore, 204 cams, fuel tuner, true duals, samsons on my EFI Roadglide. Now thinking about adding some ported. polished heads of some nature to the recipe. Anyone added this last component and have an opinion? Is it worth the effort/expense in your opinion? I'm looking for some "real world" experiences here! I could obtain some stock heads and send 'em to Mackie, or Big Boyz, or I could buy a set of SE heads and slap 'em on there......but will I gain enough to warrant the expenditure?

Old 05-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Screamin' Eagle, Mackie, etc. heads question

Iam in the same boat as you. I just can't see buying a new set of performance heads when my stock ones are brand new.
Big Boyz offers the $299 port job, and thats dirt cheap. Just can't convince myself that a $300 port job is equal to a $800 port job that some of the other shops offer.
I would hate to have to tear the motor back down if I didn't reach the gains Iam looking for, besides I like having the motor look stock

Old 05-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

After a port/polish they'd look stock from the outside. If one bought the HD Screamin' Eagle heads, they'd have the script logo on them. I'm willing to make the "investment" if I could get some opinions that are favorable. So far, it's been mighty quiet!

Old 05-10-2006, 01:41 PM
JW
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok first let me declare I am not a mechanic, engine builder or any other expert by any means, and I didnt stay at a holiday inn express last night.

However, your question looks basic on the surface, but the answer is complicated. Alot of variables here. First would be what pistons? flat tops or high compression?

head porting should be done to fit the build you have.

Is it worth it? from everything I've read heads are the most important mod there is. Whats it gonna yeild? depends on the build. a good head job can yeild anywhere from 7-20hp again it depends.

where do ya want it to gain the most? street?, stump puller?, racing?

My advice is call some head shops up and talk to them. Not just one, several , by calling several places you should be able to separate the sales pitch from the truth. They should ask you specific questions about your type of bike, your mods, and your riding style. If they just start spouting off feel good numbers then be wary. price can vary wildly,more money wont always mean whats best for your build.with your cams you dont need high lift springs.

Lastly, your gonna have to give this question some time on the forum a day or two, the experts here well they are porting heads, not reading the forum. thats why you should call.

good luck