General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IronButt Ride, June 12-13 Circle the mitten

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doing mine in 10 days and I'm giddy like a schoolgirl.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 AM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
I am in the process of planning a ride for the saddlesore 1000. circling the mitten sound fun, but It is a little to far to get there. I am trying to get a few friends to all do this at the same time. any advise?
Check out the IBA website for all the forms and required documentation. They also have alot of hints and advice. My advice would be to do some kind of round trip ride. It seems to be easier to have the same person sign you out and sign you back in. Save your gas reciepts and document your stops. As far as riding the ride - leave late in the evening, that way you are fresh during the dark portion of the ride 4-5am has been the toughest for me. Once the sun is up, you are home free. Stay away from energy drinks and bars. They pick you up and then slam you down. Gatorade is good, pop & coffee bad. The biggest thing is to remember to take your time. 24 hours is more than enough, at highway speeds it is easily done in 20 hours with breaks. You dont get an extra pat on the back for finishing first, all you need to do is finish in 24 hours. Have fun and ride safe

Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWhitedogg
Check out the IBA website for all the forms and required documentation. They also have alot of hints and advice. My advice would be to do some kind of round trip ride. It seems to be easier to have the same person sign you out and sign you back in. Save your gas reciepts and document your stops. As far as riding the ride - leave late in the evening, that way you are fresh during the dark portion of the ride 4-5am has been the toughest for me. Once the sun is up, you are home free. Stay away from energy drinks and bars. They pick you up and then slam you down. Gatorade is good, pop & coffee bad. The biggest thing is to remember to take your time. 24 hours is more than enough, at highway speeds it is easily done in 20 hours with breaks. You dont get an extra pat on the back for finishing first, all you need to do is finish in 24 hours. Have fun and ride safe
Thanks, my thoughts on this was to start around midnight, form what I have read on the IBA site and averaging 60 miles and hour (yea right on I-20) it should take about 17 hours, which would finish around 5 pm, maybe 7pm for an extra time, but still daylight. I rode out yesterday to figure an estimated fuel mileage and trying to decide on how far to ride in between stops. It seems that 125 miles is a good range between stops. My plan is to leave from Vila Rica GA, and travel to Shreveport Louisiana and back, which would be a total of about 1100 miles according to google maps (1000 miles plus 10 percent).