Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportbike recommendation!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Fred00
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportbike recommendation!

I know that most of you guys are not into the "sport" thing, but I also know that some might want a cheap sportbike in the garage next to the Harley. Well here is my review of my moms new ride:

My mom got her drivers license five years ago and started out on a Suzuki Intruder 800. A great starter bike but maybe not the ideal bike for her since she likes fast vehicles (she drives responsible though). She bought a cruiser since all her friends had one basically. Now, five years later, she's gotten her second bike, a Honda 599. This weekend I got to take the bike for a spin.

Me and my brother borrowed our parents bikes and got out on a nice, curvy road, me on dads Honda Shadow 750 and my brother on the 599. After 15 miles we switched bikes. Being that I've never ridden a sportbike before I didn't know what to expect. MAN, was that a strange feeling riding the 599 after being on the Shadow! First of all the riding position was really compact, your feet right under you instead of forward and the bars were really narrow compared to the Shadows wide ones. You sit slightly leant forward but nothing extreme or uncomfortable. Twisting the grip just before I let up the clutch I immediately noticed the fast throttle response. The bike revs up in no time!

Ok, so time to hit some bends, and this is where the fun begins. The 599 leans over incredibly fast, just a gentle push at the bar and it dives into the corner. In the turns it holds its line perfectly and corrections are done easily. The bike is perfectly stable at all times. The Shadow on the other hand were much slower in the turn in, prone to go wide in the turns and seriously lacked in stability even when going at moderate pace. The brakes on the 599 is superb, atleast compared to the single disc on the Shadow.

The engine then? Well, the 599 feels MUCH stronger in every situation. I was stuck behind a car going 30 mph and geared down to 2nd. Full throttle zooming by the car in 2nd gear and the bike just keeps pulling harder and harder. Shift before 9000rpm to avoid the upper end of the tach before the bike is run in. The 599 makes approximately 85hp at the wheel and weighs 448lbs filled up, so that makes for some impressive performance.

I'm really impressed with this bike and it's by far the most fun I've had on two wheels, which doesn't say that much though, since all my former experience has been on my parents cruisers (the 750 Shadow and the Intruder 800). I was planning on getting my first own bike sometime in the near future, and was set on a Harley, but now I'm not sure anymore. I like the looks and the sound of a Harley, but how how about the cornering abilities? Which is the best handling Harley out there? Now that I've gotten a taste of the 599 I'm not sure I want to sacrifice too much in the handling department.

The 599 is 7399$ and I recommend it to anyone that wants a "fun bike" for some serious cornering. Sorry for the long write-up. Just wanted to share my feelings. Hope someone found it interesting.

Oh, and here's a picture:

[IMG]local://upfiles/7823/747594B7B94846D8BD30E1AE48E094AA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7823/D7BBFD65D393497A9A00F5937A6ABF8D.jpg[/IMG]

Oops. Two pictures...

Old 05-09-2006, 05:27 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Sportbike recommendation!

I can't speak for the Shadow, but I know my Heritage is completely stable in the corners and if it weren't for me grinding the floorboards, I coud push it even harder.

The Harley Roadster 1200 has higher set pegs and can really dig in on a curvy road.

Personally, the 4 cylinder sportbikes do nothing for me...they sound like high winding vacuum cleaners and I like some soul to the bike so I chose a Ducati M750 for my faster bike. It roars rather than whines.

All depends on what you're looking for in a bike...I find rice rockets just lacking in any personality but your money, your choice.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My brother had a Suzki of that style and I had to ride it to his home for him. (He was moving I think and that's they way he could get it there all at once.) I hated riding it. (not being snobbish, I had an Intruder 800 at the time). The ride was just across town (20 - 30 miles) and I was bushed when I got there. My body just does not like being in the posistion while riding.

Also, I'm not the type that must go really, really fast.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:51 PM
CLCFred
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Fred00

I know that most of you guys are not into the "sport" thing, but I also know that some might want a cheap sportbike in the garage next to the Harley. Well here is my review of my moms new ride:

My mom got her drivers license five years ago and started out on a Suzuki Intruder 800. A great starter bike but maybe not the ideal bike for her since she likes fast vehicles (she drives responsible though). She bought a cruiser since all her friends had one basically. Now, five years later, she's gotten her second bike, a Honda 599. This weekend I got to take the bike for a spin.

Me and my brother borrowed our parents bikes and got out on a nice, curvy road, me on dads Honda Shadow 750 and my brother on the 599. After 15 miles we switched bikes. Being that I've never ridden a sportbike before I didn't know what to expect. MAN, was that a strange feeling riding the 599 after being on the Shadow! First of all the riding position was really compact, your feet right under you instead of forward and the bars were really narrow compared to the Shadows wide ones. You sit slightly leant forward but nothing extreme or uncomfortable. Twisting the grip just before I let up the clutch I immediately noticed the fast throttle response. The bike revs up in no time!

Ok, so time to hit some bends, and this is where the fun begins. The 599 leans over incredibly fast, just a gentle push at the bar and it dives into the corner. In the turns it holds its line perfectly and corrections are done easily. The bike is perfectly stable at all times. The Shadow on the other hand were much slower in the turn in, prone to go wide in the turns and seriously lacked in stability even when going at moderate pace. The brakes on the 599 is superb, atleast compared to the single disc on the Shadow.

The engine then? Well, the 599 feels MUCH stronger in every situation. I was stuck behind a car going 30 mph and geared down to 2nd. Full throttle zooming by the car in 2nd gear and the bike just keeps pulling harder and harder. Shift before 9000rpm to avoid the upper end of the tach before the bike is run in. The 599 makes approximately 85hp at the wheel and weighs 448lbs filled up, so that makes for some impressive performance.

I'm really impressed with this bike and it's by far the most fun I've had on two wheels, which doesn't say that much though, since all my former experience has been on my parents cruisers (the 750 Shadow and the Intruder 800). I was planning on getting my first own bike sometime in the near future, and was set on a Harley, but now I'm not sure anymore. I like the looks and the sound of a Harley, but how how about the cornering abilities? Which is the best handling Harley out there? Now that I've gotten a taste of the 599 I'm not sure I want to sacrifice too much in the handling department.

The 599 is 7399$ and I recommend it to anyone that wants a "fun bike" for some serious cornering. Sorry for the long write-up. Just wanted to share my feelings. Hope someone found it interesting.

Oh, and here's a picture:

[IMG]local://upfiles/7823/747594B7B94846D8BD30E1AE48E094AA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7823/D7BBFD65D393497A9A00F5937A6ABF8D.jpg[/IMG]

Oops. Two pictures...
If your looking at the 599. I would also look at the Yamaha FZ6. Lots of power and great comfort. Also updated. the 599 is so outdated

If your looking to get more information about Sportbikes. Visit http://www.sportbikes.net There is a VERY LARGE FZ6 member base there.

Good Luck

Old 05-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was stuck behind a car going 30 mph and geared down to 2nd. Full throttle zooming by the car in 2nd gear and the bike just keeps pulling harder and harder. Shift before 9000rpm to avoid the upper end of the tach before the bike is run in. The 599 makes approximately 85hp at the wheel and weighs 448lbs filled up, so that makes for some impressive performance.
This is the kind of stuff that leads to being in those videos that get shown here...

I've never ridden a sport bike, and probably never will. I know myself, and my lack of control. I might end up finding out just how fast it can go.

I bet you can find a used one for quite a bit less. Whatever the choice, be careful out there!

Old 05-09-2006, 07:42 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL...good point Rhubarb.

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I was stuck behind a car going 30 mph and geared down to 2nd. Full throttle zooming by the car in 2nd gear and the bike just keeps pulling harder and harder. Shift before 9000rpm to avoid the upper end of the tach before the bike is run in. The 599 makes approximately 85hp at the wheel and weighs 448lbs filled up, so that makes for some impressive performance.
This is the kind of stuff that leads to being in those videos that get shown here...

I've never ridden a sport bike, and probably never will. I know myself, and my lack of control. I might end up finding out just how fast it can go.

I bet you can find a used one for quite a bit less. Whatever the choice, be careful out there!

Old 05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

Well, for the most part you're going to get a pretty biased opinion here. Even from me.

I've had all kinds of bikes (except a dual sport, and I really want one some day). And I like them all for different reasons. The sportbikes are great fun and they take more maturity than a responsible cruiser. I guess that's why they appeal to the younger generation.

But I feel much safer on my GSXR than I do on any cruiser. You are more a part of the machine. It feels like you are gelling with it by leaning over the bike. Much more focused. Easier to bail if you had to than on a cruiser. I just feel more "as one" on my gixxer.

WHat kind of riding do you do? What do you want out of a bike? While you can get in trouble on any bike, It takes some maturity to handle the trouble a sporty can get you into.

I have both and I ride them both for different reasons. Love my Gixxer. Love my Harley.

You've ridden them both. Listen to your own thoughts rather than a bunch of biased opinions and get what feels right to you.

Just remember all these guys that are gonna look at you sideways because you downshifted and blew by a car have their own beer and a campfire story moments too.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: FireHawk

My brother had a Suzki of that style and I had to ride it to his home for him. (He was moving I think and that's they way he could get it there all at once.) I hated riding it. (not being snobbish, I had an Intruder 800 at the time). The ride was just across town (20 - 30 miles) and I was bushed when I got there. My body just does not like being in the posistion while riding.

Also, I'm not the type that must go really, really fast.
That bad after 20-30 miles? I found the riding position pretty upright and also good for your back since the road bumps isn't transfered straight to your spine like they are on a cruiser. But every person is different. Dad thought his wrists hurt after 10 miles on the 599. Guess that's the way it is the first time you try something completely different. The body needs some time to adjust.

Oh, and no need to go really fast to have fun with the 599. The light, flickable feel is there as soon as you jump on the bike.

I see now that I have to try some different bikes before I make up my mind...

Old 05-09-2006, 08:12 PM
iwant1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the "used to ride sports bikrs, now I've slowed down" category.

Paid a lot of fines and did some seriously dangerous stuff on my previous (sports) bikes. These days I take it easy and just enjoy the experience we all know that comes with riding a Harley. Additioanly Jap sports bikes in poarticular have shrunk down to ridiculously short wheelbases. 1000 cc bikes are smaller dimensions than 750's used to be. For a big bloke like me thats a problem. I got on an R1 and was looking down and slightly backwards through the windshield to the dials.

Having said that though, I still wouldn't kick a Triumph speed triple, a buell, or in particular a Street rod (hell yeah) out of my garage.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: fatguyona1000
But I feel much safer on my GSXR than I do on any cruiser. You are more a part of the machine. It feels like you are gelling with it by leaning over the bike. Much more focused. Easier to bail if you had to than on a cruiser. I just feel more "as one" on my gixxer.
This is so true. The 599 felt very focused and safe thorugh the turns at speeds where the Shadow felt somewhat scary. It feels like the margins are much larger on the 599. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing though. Tends to make you go faster...

But you're right. I have to make this descision myself. If one only had the money for two bikes...[8D]

Quick Reply: Sportbike recommendation!