General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle hits car at 155 mph...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Blackmore
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle hits car at 155 mph...

This was sent to me by a friend. He's races so he keeps his speed to the track. It pretty much shows how dangerous excessive speed can be.

Doesn't matter who you are, ride safe so you can ride another day.

================================================== =================
A picture is worth a thousand words. The Honda rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place. All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license. At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were taken. A picture is worth a thousand words. The Honda rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place. All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license. At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were taken.

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle hits car at 155 mph...-mccrash1.jpg   Motorcycle hits car at 155 mph...-mccrash2.jpg   Motorcycle hits car at 155 mph...-mccrash3.jpg   Motorcycle hits car at 155 mph...-mccrash4.jpg  
Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Blackmore;4970182]This was sent to me by a friend. He's races so he keeps his speed to the track. It pretty much shows how dangerous excessive speed can be.
[QUOTE]

Did he give you a date on that story? It's been around the internet for a long time.

Last edited by Snarly; 05-07-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Blackmore
Intermediate

No he didn't say. It seemed kind of familiar but it always good to be reminded what speed can do.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why are you posting this on an HD forum?...looks like just another dumbassed crotch rocket rider fooked up to me.....my HD will only go 90 MPH and that is a rare occasion...

Old 05-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is not going to buff out.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Bar_Hopper
Tourer

the proof is in the picture... dont buy honda!!! hahahaha

Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 PM
capnhook
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ko4qc
Why are you posting this on an HD forum?...looks like just another dumbassed crotch rocket rider fooked up to me.....my HD will only go 90 MPH and that is a rare occasion...

Really, I had my HD up to 120 and it had more but I didn't.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Blackmore
Intermediate

Originally Posted by capnhook
Really, I had my HD up to 120 and it had more but I didn't.
I hear ya there. I ran mine up to around 100 and backed off. I don't mind crusing along around 70 but that triple digit just a little too much. When I was younger and dumber I probably would wanted more speed. Just never liked them rockets though, always went with the cruiser style and they aren't meant to be the speediest things and good thing too.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:38 AM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

In an unrelated incident a man riding at horse at approx 155mph ran head on into a car travelling in the opposite direction....

Old 05-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Spike_96
Cruiser

I have no sympathy for stupid people.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle hits car at 155 mph...