General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle hits car at 155 mph...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dancemax
Canad+USA: Shouldnt' there be a law that no motor vehicle will be sold that exceeds a speed limit of say 100 mph. All our roads do not exceed speed limit of 70 mph (120kmph).
For racers and recreational riders it could be done by requiring a special permit only limited to using these vehicles under special circumstances.
Many of the cages are now limited to 100mph except the Corvettes and such. That's BS. Maybe they should have guns that only fire one bullet or soda machines that won't dispense if you are over weight. That crap could go on forever.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:40 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dancemax
Canad+USA: Shouldnt' there be a law that no motor vehicle will be sold that exceeds a speed limit of say 100 mph. All our roads do not exceed speed limit of 70 mph (120kmph).
For racers and recreational riders it could be done by requiring a special permit only limited to using these vehicles under special circumstances.
Bingo! That is the response they are looking for. You will find with most of these safety awareness messages that use shock tactics there will be a anti-bike agenda. In the UK and Europe there is a very strong anti-bike group made up of police, road safety and politicians who are constantly looking for ways to turn public opinion so that they can, bottom line, ban bikes from the road. Here there is already efforts to introduce a 100bhp limit, they have made the bike test not only harder to do but much harder to take in itself and have introduced average speed cameras on popular biker roads just to target bikes (of course once they have us off the roads they can then turn to cars). In France you can't buy a bike with more than 100bhp. We might think as we run Harley's for most of us this is not really an issue, but then in Germany you can only modify your bike with TuV-mark approved items this extends to everything from a minimum size for mirrors to noisy exhausts. So customizing will not just be down to you, the safety people will make sure you don't hurt yourself because you are too dumb to be trusted with your own safety. My view is I am 100% in support of safety awareness messages and banning people who put others at risk but I am 100% against the safety ***** who want to take away as much of our freedom as they can to satisfy their own perception of the world. Rant over, now I am going to ride my bike

Old 05-09-2009, 03:45 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by killer scott
Hey now I'm registered Demicrat, and I don't want to be lumped in with that guy!
Sorry about that. My bad. And I am sorry to everybody else. I should not have posted this outside of the political section. Sorry!

Old 05-09-2009, 06:39 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Ouch!there a lot of inexperienced riders out there that give us all a bad name,not to mention all those that should never have been issued a drivers license.People pull out in front of me all the time,happened last night on my home from work.It's all about defensive driving.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Tripped1
Tourer

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
Many of the cages are now limited to 100mph except the Corvettes and such. That's BS. Maybe they should have guns that only fire one bullet or soda machines that won't dispense if you are over weight. That crap could go on forever.
Cages are limited to the rating of the stock tires.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Eyes of Texas
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tripped1
Cages are limited to the rating of the stock tires.

What?

Most cars in the U.S. have governors under 100 mph. My lightning has ZR rated tires that are rated to over 149 mph. However, if I put some ****ty off-road tires it would still do well over 100, albeit unsafely.

Guess I'm missing what you're trying to say.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:15 PM
DPFhd883
Tourer

Unfortunately stupid people will always screw everything up for everyone else.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:00 PM
SGMAN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SoftailBrian
You must be a Demicrat! Nuff said.
+1 These are also the people that wanna take away my guns because they are too dangerous. Its not the bikes fault....

Old 05-09-2009, 10:30 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Haulen ***
Ahahaha. For what a mess that car was there didn't see to be a whole lot of blood. Just my guess but that would have been messy.
to be on display, the displayer would have to clean up the blood borne pathogens because some stupid so so would stick their finger in it and say 'whats that".. then if they got any kind of disease, law suits would fly all over.
Plus here it the law to clean up.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoftailBrian
400cc? Damn, when my kid gets his bike it's gonna take us forever to get to Sturgis. I'm 44 years OLD today and I've tested plenty a bikes abilities. Still here to tell the stories. You just have to be smart enough to know when to say, "WHOA".

I do agree with your idea on the motorcycle awareness course for ALL license holders though.
I only meant for a very short temporary time frame, as a learner. Perhaps for one year? I don't have the stats, but I bet it's plausible that certain cc restrictions could save lives of young new riders.

We already have a similar program in place for young drivers in BC, Canada. They start with an "L" sticker on the back of the vehicle, representing a learners class. Then they step up to a "N" representing a newly licensed driver, with each class having certain restrictions. After proving they are competent drivers by driving without an accident or infraction for a certain time they then have all restrictions and conditions lifted.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle hits car at 155 mph...