General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My brother got an exhaust ticket today

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts
Default My brother got an exhaust ticket today

And not strolling around town either. He was heading north on I-39 in WI... At least I can 'see' some of the exhaust crackdowns in city limits or residential areas, but on the highway?

This is his 3rd ticket in 3 different jurisdictions, so his stock exhaust system is getting bolted back on as I type. At $164 bucks a piece, I'd do the same thing... Which got me thinking.

Could I get an exhaust ticket in a state other than where I have my bike registered? VA doesn't require turn signals - but WI does. Surely I couldn't get a ticket for that, could I???
(PS - I have turn sigs, so it's a non issue, but I'm curious)

Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
flylock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like an easy way for the government to raise taxes without really raising taxes.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:31 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, you can get tickets out of state for equipment violations.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

loud helmets save lives

Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

From my understanding you can get a ticket for anything an officer wants to write it for. You would have to show up in court to argue if it were valid or not. I suspect that most court system hope that you won't bother to show up and just write the check. Especially if you were out of town or out of state.

Now it's up to you to decide if the law is targeting out of towners for these types of offenses or not. My guess, you can count on it.

Jim

Old 05-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The bike needs to be legal in the state you're riding in, doesn't matter where iit's registered. My son got pulled over in AZ for his apes being just a little high but the officer let him ride it out to NV and didn't issue a ticket.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Savagehenry
Tourer

That sucks. Some of those cops up north spend their entire careers just writing tickets. It's a/the major revenue stream for some rural areas. And its not like they care about losing tourist dollars due to their prikkish ways. If you stop at all its only for gas anyway.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but most of the time you have to be 'acting the fool' to get written for something like that in Milw.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:38 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

What was the criteria the cop used? Did he measure the decibels coming out from the exhaust? Or was he just doing a guesstimate?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 PM
smokey422
Advanced

Do you know what brand and type of exhaust your brother was running on his bike? It would be interesting to know that. I've run several different kinds of exhausts on my bikes, the loudest being open drag pipes on my '81 Low Rider. I never got a ticket but was always careful not to blast through residential areas.

I believe there's a federal law stating that any bike built after 1982 has to have the stock exhaust with EPA stamp to be legal. Maybe that was the law he was writing him up for.

Smokey

Old 05-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtMic
What was the criteria the cop used? Did he measure the decibels coming out from the exhaust? Or was he just doing a guesstimate?
His last ticket was wrote as 'modified exhaust'. This one was 'inadequate muffler'. No decibel measurement was taken.

After the state patrol handed over the ticket, the LEO asked my brother if he had anything to say. Luckily he kept his trap shut - because he figured it was a trap...

Quick Reply: My brother got an exhaust ticket today