General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My brother got an exhaust ticket today

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Loud pipes are a menace to society. The good officer was just trying to maintain a quiet environment so as not to distract the cagers talking on their cellphones and polishing their nails.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I personally don't really understand the need to change from the original exhaust, over there in the states, other than to make your pipes unnecessarily loud or for style's sake, or both. Stock H-D bikes are adequately loud off the showroom floor in the States, as I understand it. I know a couple guys, here in Japan, who bought stock mufflers cheap from the US and installed them on their bikes (their bikes sound great, too), because over here, the stock exhaust systems are almost dead silent as per Japan EPA standards. However, we guys who ride anything over 400cc bikes have all paid our dues in the form of mandatory rider's ed classes, which cost close to $2,000. For that reason (I'm guessing) the cops pretty much leave us and our modified bikes alone. I know ONE guy who got pulled over for having straight drags, but the cop didn't have a db meter, so he had to let him go (no decibal meter, no ticket - period). You change out your mufflers in the States, be prepared to pay the dues in the form of a ticket. Flame me if you want, but just sayin'.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by The Architect
he has received three seperate citations, the exhaust is illegal. You guys don't want to accept the consequences. Quit whining.
He did accept it - 3 times. And the third time was the charm. His stock system is back on...

Old 05-07-2009, 07:17 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm taking that as a threat!Watch it buddy!

My boy is a cop in Baltimore City and they are made to make a certain amount of arrest and give out a certain amount of tickets...Sad but true...I don't hate cops but I hate the police Chiefs...

Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost creamed a motorcycle cop today. I saw him coming close to the street from a parking lot(circle) and he just jumped out on the rode w/o looking. I slammed on my brakes and so did he, stopping in the middle of the rode. He freaked out when he saw my car basically looking like a deer in headlights, if I wasn't paying attention I would have been on channel 5 news, saying "I didn't even see him"

Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BLK08ROCKERC
I am from Georgia and while in Florida I was ticketed for my headlights and bumper being to high on my truck. The truck is registered in GA where it is at legal height. So yes they can ticket you.
That's pretty much the example I was looking for. I'm not sure which - but some states require your license plate to read from left to right (horizontal). So if you had a laydown vertical plate - you could get a ticket. Same thing with bar height, turn signals, etc...

Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know anyone who has ever gotten an exhaust ticket. So still and all I think the odds of getting one are about the same as getting struck by lightning.

This poor guy must either have some real eardrum splitters or he's just plain unlucky. Seems a bit extreme to go all the way back to stock.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Loud pipes are a menace to society. The good officer was just trying to maintain a quiet environment so as not to distract the cagers talking on their cellphones and polishing their nails."

I agree! they should rid the world of those annoying chrome parts that are so distracting!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
This poor guy must either have some real eardrum splitters or he's just plain unlucky. Seems a bit extreme to go all the way back to stock.
He got laid off from work yesterday due to the company not having enough work. He was making the 4 hour trip 'back home' by the parents to figure out his next step. (He's 28 with no wife/kids) Just an unlucky week...

He has a set of samson's without baffles, so yes they are pretty loud.

First ticket - was in an area that is known that a State Patrol officer watches/cracks down on loud exhaust

Second ticket - was in the small town he went to high school in. It was dark and the exhaust always sounds louder at night.

Third ticket - the 'unlucky' one. Riding by himself on the highway.

He still had the stock system and doesn't have the funds for anything else - so it's back to stock...

Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
I personally don't really understand the need to change from the original exhaust, over there in the states, other than to make your pipes unnecessarily loud or for style's sake, or both. Stock H-D bikes are adequately loud off the showroom floor in the States, as I understand it. I know a couple guys, here in Japan, who bought stock mufflers cheap from the US and installed them on their bikes (their bikes sound great, too), because over here, the stock exhaust systems are almost dead silent as per Japan EPA standards. However, we guys who ride anything over 400cc bikes have all paid our dues in the form of mandatory rider's ed classes, which cost close to $2,000. For that reason (I'm guessing) the cops pretty much leave us and our modified bikes alone. I know ONE guy who got pulled over for having straight drags, but the cop didn't have a db meter, so he had to let him go (no decibal meter, no ticket - period). You change out your mufflers in the States, be prepared to pay the dues in the form of a ticket. Flame me if you want, but just sayin'.
Performance, and they're almost silent.

I gained almost 25% in hp and tq from pipe/intake/tune.

Quick Reply: My brother got an exhaust ticket today