General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My brother got an exhaust ticket today

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by smokey422
Do you know what brand and type of exhaust your brother was running on his bike? It would be interesting to know that.
All I know is Samson. Here's a picture of his bike, so maybe you can tell what they are...

Old 05-07-2009, 06:07 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

It's usually better not to say anything. Except maybe, THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER !!!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three tickets in three different jurisdictions; I dont know anyone that's gotten a ticket much less three tickets for loud exhaust. Has he removed the baffles completely?
As for your question about being ticketed in other states you have to comply with the laws of the state your in, if they require a helmet you have to have one, if they have a height limit on handlebars you can't run your tall apes, same goes for equipment requirements, if your supposed to have it and don't they can ticket you. With that said some officers will send you on your way with a warning but more than likely you'll get a ticket.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:33 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start fighting them, they are just trying to generate revenue
How to Fight a Traffic Ticket - wikiHow

Old 05-07-2009, 06:42 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lincoln33
As for your question about being ticketed in other states you have to comply with the laws of the state your in, if they require a helmet you have to have one, if they have a height limit on handlebars you can't run your tall apes, same goes for equipment requirements, if your supposed to have it and don't they can ticket you. With that said some officers will send you on your way with a warning but more than likely you'll get a ticket.
I don't think that is right. If your bike is legal in the state you are registered in you can't get a ticket for something that is required elsewhere. Example, some states require license plates front and rear on cars and others don't. You can't get a ticket for not having a front license plate in a state that requires one if your state does not. If your pipes do not have the EPA stamp on them, you can get a ticket in all 50 states.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:49 PM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mcrider1
I don't think that is right. If your bike is legal in the state you are registered in you can't get a ticket for something that is required elsewhere. Example, some states require license plates front and rear on cars and others don't. You can't get a ticket for not having a front license plate in a state that requires one if your state does not. If your pipes do not have the EPA stamp on them, you can get a ticket in all 50 states.

I am from Georgia and while in Florida I was ticketed for my headlights and bumper being to high on my truck. The truck is registered in GA where it is at legal height. So yes they can ticket you.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Exavier22003
Advanced

If you need to know your states motorcylce laws and others try this link. http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Good luck.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:54 PM
The Architect
Banned

If he has received three seperate citations fo excessive exhaust noise, chances are the exhaust is illegal. WTF, it does not seem that hard to comprehend. You guys want to run around with those unbelievably loud pipes pissing everybody off but don't want to accept the consequences. Quit whining.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:57 PM
botz723
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your pipes do not have the EPA stamp on them, you can get a ticket in all 50 states.
Period...

Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think that is right. If your bike is legal in the state you are registered in you can't get a ticket for something that is required elsewhere. Example, some states require license plates front and rear on cars and others don't. You can't get a ticket for not having a front license plate in a state that requires one if your state does not.
Come to my state and I'll show you....I need to write more tickets, anyway. I just got my annual performance eval and only wrote 47 last year...LOL.

Quick Reply: My brother got an exhaust ticket today