General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossbones, Is it me or...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009 | 09:34 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tony P
I like the X Bones - except for that rear fender. It doesn't go with the the concept of the bike. One of the local HD dealers here swapped out the rear fender, the tank (with old school tank badges), the bars (low, pulled-back), then painted it red - damn that thing looks good!
Uhm... not to be nationalist... but it seems to me it starts to look a lot like a vintage Guzzi...

Old 05-08-2009 | 09:39 AM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master

The only thing I don't like about the crossbones is the rear fender. I also love the stock seat. Would I buy one? Probably not.

I like this way better. However, I am not a fan of army green.

Old 05-08-2009 | 09:43 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

As someone mentioned earlier, check out the American Iron X Bones. They did away with the hideous ducks *** rear fender and replaced it with a true bobber fender. They 86's the front fender completely. They retained the spring seat but moved it down. Bike looks good, but the guy that did could have bought a Suck Punch Sally and saved money.
The fat front tire everyone is so opposed to is actually more historically true to original bobbers. I like it, but would like to see the wheel PC'd red instead of black.
I gotta agree, the X Bones in stock form looks like a left over parts bike.
Marsh

Old 05-08-2009 | 09:46 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 99octane
Uhm... not to be nationalist... but it seems to me it starts to look a lot like a vintage Guzzi...
LOL! You had to see it to appreciate it. Nice rounded fender out back. The tank was two-tone red with white insert with a set of those old school tank badges. They left the motor alone - no chrome add-ons. Simple upgrades that made a huge difference.

Old 05-08-2009 | 10:09 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tony P
I like the X Bones - except for that rear fender. It doesn't go with the the concept of the bike. One of the local HD dealers here swapped out the rear fender, the tank (with old school tank badges), the bars (low, pulled-back), then painted it red - damn that thing looks good!
A bobtail does go with the vintage/retro concept. That's what they used to do to pre-bobtail fenders, bob the front of them and rotate em up over the tire.

Old 05-08-2009 | 10:24 AM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain

I like it, my friend has one too. He got rid of the mini apes and wants to put a Deluxe style rear fender on it.

Old 05-08-2009 | 10:26 AM
confederate
Most Wanted

Personally, I dig the bones. One of HD's coolest bikes.

Old 05-08-2009 | 10:35 AM
Dr_Scoot
Tourer

Originally Posted by cowboy1
Lose the seat & install an oldschool rigid style seat with a thin pad on a real pan, change the front wheel and add a tank shifter and foot clutch...or build a bobber for alot less...
+ 1 My thoughts exactly

Old 05-08-2009 | 11:14 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by dirtyharryfxrt
I like it, my friend has one too. He got rid of the mini apes and wants to put a Deluxe style rear fender on it.
That is a GREAT rear fender for this bike... just to damn narrow to bolt straight on. I didn't like my duckbill to start with but its growing on me. I have another fender to put on it, but I think I'm going to leave it as it is for now.

Old 05-08-2009 | 11:21 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

When I first saw the the Xbones it didn't really appeal to me. After a while I started to like it and now I really like it. It's also a great starting point to go in all kinds of different directions in styling.

Quick Reply: Crossbones, Is it me or...