General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Harley Type are you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Harley Type are you?

I was hooked at age 6. Dad was in Vietnam and the high school kid across the kid rode me around San Antonio (no helmet either). My mom didnt even know til I told her recently. It was a Harley but I dont remember the model. Then it was Evel Knievel!!!! Always wanted a bike but parents wouldn't buy me one (now I thank them because I probably would have killed myself on it!). Bought my first last year at 45! Definitely old school, still have thoughts of eventually rebuilding a 48 Panhead to go with my Springer Classic. But there are times I'd love speed!!!!

Old 05-10-2006, 11:11 AM
gary99z28
Intermediate

My dad had a Yamaha when I was a very young child so I was always drawn towards motorcycles. When I was about six we were at a family reunion party and boat races were going on in Niagara River across the street from our party. Me and my brother were walking to watch the races when a low and all chromed custom Harley cought my eye. I shouldn't have but I had to sit on it. I couldn't help myself. I knew that someday I will get one for myself. I got my first Harley 16 years later.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:33 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had always wanted one when I was a kid. One of my friends older brothers had Harleys (in the late 70's) and I thought it would be cool to own/ride one.
It took a while with having 3 kids but now I finally have one.
2 of my 3 kids like riding on the back, so that makes it more fun taking them for a ride. Oh ya, the wife doesn't mind going for a ride now and then either.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4468/3F0140CD3FFC49E5B19B2999B933A4BC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-10-2006, 02:49 PM
reefteach
Tourer

I liked the looks, the feel of the bikes. But mostly the Dealer did a great job of showcasing the free spirit associated w/ Harleys. Its 5 minutes down the street and I was at all of the open houses, riding demos, eating the free food, listening to the music and buyiong the clothes. I liked seeing groups come in and leave and thought it would be cool. Friendly Folks were a big factor also. I'm volunteering at the Open House Saturday.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:11 PM
kytown2
Advanced

My first ride on a Harley: Around 1974 I was 9 or so. It was a friend of my dads from work. I do not remember the type I just remember the sound. I still can't believe my dad actually let me get on with him.

I have to give Evel Knievel some major credit here too. I thought he was awesome and I remember the red, white and blue number "one" that he would wear and Harley Davidson used at the time. Since Harley has brought back that number one, I have bought some shirts and a jean jacket with it on. That number one brings back memories of my first wanting a Harley.

As a kid in the mid to late 70's I wanted a bike so bad. My parents forbid it so I would sneak rides on my friends mini-bikes. I had an uncle that was killed on a Harley in the late 1930's (I have a cool picture of him on his bike) so buying a motorcycle was a death wish in my parents minds.

Years later (1998) at the age of 33, I had open heart surgery to repair a mitral valve and almost died a month after surgery. That event changed my life forever. I first bought the dream car(s) that I always wanted and then I finally got the nerve to buy my first Harley: a 2002 Sportster 1200C. It took me 3 weeks to have the guts to tell my mother! After she said she was not surpised, her first question was "is it one of those big ones with the stereo system and the big back seat?"

Finally about 6 weeks ago I traded the Sportster in on the bike that I just fell in love with a 2003 FXDWG. I feel now that riding down the street on Wide Glide (the bike that reminds me most of the 70's) wearing my number one patched Harley jacket that evertything has gone full circle.

Life is good!

Old 05-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Bluerose

When I was younger my dad bought himself and my mother
a couple of Kawi 450 cruiser type bikes. Mom, who had a
hard time riding bicycle, was to timid of it and after dropping it
on her first try in the parking lot gave up.

My brother got the extra ride we had, but no one even
considered I would like to ride. ...sigh.

Had a boyfriend named Jesse later on who's dad
had a Harley with gold trimmed everything that he
cleaned relentlessly. It was a deep red and gleemed.
I think that was when I fell in love with them.

Bought a honda at 18 though my parents weren't happy,
and rode it til I got married and the hubby was not a bike lover.

When I told my hubby last summer I wanted to buy a bike (2nd hubby)
I think he almost fainted. He's the type of guy that assumes
the girl wants to ride on the back.

Never considered anything but a cruiser and a Harley.
I did by a small learning bike (at the advice of a Harley
safety officer) but when it came time to move up
I tried a lot of bikes which hubby thought would be cheaper,
but kept ending up back at the Harley dealer. Told hubby if it
was a matter of money I would wait.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, I'm not in your harley Brotherhood, but I do own and ride harleys, have had BMW'S, Triumphs also..got a ride on my first Harley in 1948 with a neighbor that came over to our farm to help with getting in the Oats. he gave me a ride up to the mailbox after a long hard day of work, when I got home I told my dad that Motorcycles were for me, bought my first one when I was 18 in 1958 been rideing ever since..The harley brotherhood you so freely speak of is a silly thought in somebodys mind after seeing to many movies i think..There are a lot of Harley riders out there that I really don't want to have much to do with..
And what the hell is Old School, that is something that OCC started and nothing more, seems to be a click statement, make mine old school, like ordering a drink or something?? [sm=biker.gif]

Old 05-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the realibility of modern bikes, but I am old school all the way. I started riding when i was 7 years old and been on two wheels ever since. Growing up my idol was Evel Kneveil and I was drooling over the Harley enduro of the time. As far back as I can remember I had a need to be on a Harley!

Old 05-10-2006, 04:33 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

went for my first ride at 4 and about 10 years old i got my first ride on a friends E.G. and i was hooked even more than what i was .own alot of metric thru the years then over the last 20 years i have had 5 harleys . nothing like it . the true meaning of motorcycles come with a H.D. on it.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:13 PM
mayday
Cruiser

A really good friend of mine had an old bagger that he road to HS with....lots of people gave him crap over it....I always thought it was very cool.....and he never got worked up over what other people thought of him or the ride......that I thought was cool too. I always knew that one day I would ride a harley myself....and perhaps be a bit cool to.[sm=shades.gif]

Quick Reply: What Harley Type are you?